New problem for me. Brown spots on new paph. Sunburn?.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meagan Myers

Reaction score
I got a paph. Dollgoldi last week. I put it in my East window kitchen countertop where my other paphs and phals are. And I have been slowly pushing it up a little closer to the window. Today I came home to discover some small brown spotting on the second leaf from the top on both sides. Is this sunburn? Something to be more concerned about?

Spots haven't shown up on the few other ones I bought from the same vendor. I took those to work.

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_192132.jpg
    IMG_20190912_192132.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20190912_192156.jpg
    IMG_20190912_192156.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 22
I think it's safe to say that's not typical sunburn damage. Fungal or bacterial pathogens are the most likely culprit. How they got a foothold is really up to you to figure out since we're not there and don't really have much of any information or first-hand knowledge to go on. Typical advice would apply, make sure you're growing in appropriate conditions. Keep water off the leaves as much as possible. Consider increasing air flow if you can. It may be worthwhile to remove the infected plant tissue and follow-up with treatments. Options would include things like Neem, cinnamon spray, peroxide, fungicides, or bacterial/fungal innoculants.

Well shoot. I was hoping it was sunburn. I went ahead and wiped some copper fungicide on the leaves. I'll apply some Neem oil tomorrow. That's all I got on hand.

A copper fungicide would be my choice of action, too. If the spots are spreading, I'd remove the infected parts wide into the helthy tissue.
It looks like a secondary infection of physical damage or insect bites to me.

Back