new phrag bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

anxiously awaiting - I love the dark color & might it be two toned???
Phrag. Mystique (Beauport x Barbara LeAnn).

24 hour update

is this coming along quick enough?

this is gonna be a hard one to get the color right, it's fairly close, I would call it a dark cranberry red.

looks nice I think I will try to make this cross. I have Phrag. Beauport ‘Rose Rocket’ 4N in bloom now & Phrag Barbara LeAnn ‘Janice Anne’ {2N I think?}. I would think that using the Beauport as the pod plant that it might pass on the darker color & hold multiple open flowers. What do you think?
Thanks
Jon

Sounds good to me but what's the sterile factor?
I hope it's going to hold multiple flowers, as it will make a statement! The bloom is totally open - I'll have an update tomorrow!

I don't know if it is a problem crossing 4n to 2n as far as viability of the cross is concerned, but the resulting 3n offspring will probably be sterile.
Still it is worth it to get 3n plants, as they can be more robust. Maybe Drorchid can weigh in.
Wouldn't the 4n plant dominate as it will give twice the genetic load to the offspring?
In crossing 4n and 2n is there a preferred pollen donar and capsule parent?

UPDATE - It's open!

The color still is not quite right, it's darker but this is as close as I could get it. The flower is alittle small - 2 1/2" across. The plant is somewhat compact.

The best description I can give is a cranberry or burgundy red, it really doesn't have any pinkish hues as the photo shows. It was in the GH until it opened but it's been above normal temps for our area, so I don't know if that's had any effect? It will be interesting on the next blooming. It's a keeper!

Yes I got it from Chuck this spring. This was a bareroot plant that made me go WOW. It was a single growth but the pairs of leaves were just stacked right on top of one another. It had a husky look but yet compact, it has always impressed me even out of bloom & now I like it even more!
A2124 Beauport 'Rose Rocket' 4N x Barbara LeAnn

Thanx. another one for my to get list. Yeah, a lot of fischeri crosses grow like that. ;) BTW Phrag Beauport x Barbara LeAnn = Phrag. Mystique

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back