New Phrag. Book!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a note to let everyone know that "Slipper Orchids of the Tropical Americas" by Phillip Cribb and Chris Purver is now available for ordering on the Orchid Digest website (www.orchiddigest.com). It's the long awaited definitive treatment of Phragmipedium, Mexipedium and Selinipedium and written in English. The book includes chapters on taxonomy, conservation and breeding and contains many photos and illustrations.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom.

Anyone know if this book is available elsewhere? The Orchid Digest site says "orders restricted to North and South America", which i.m.h.o. is ridiculous.

I checked the web site of Kew but cannot find it there.

Rob.

That probably means that Kew and Natural History Publications have distribution rights outside the Americas. Should just be a matter of time. The book hasn't been released yet. Give them a few days.

What I want to know is when it will be released in e-book format.

Naoki,

There should be a green box in the upper left hand corner of the front page of the orchiddigest.com website that says "Order Here". The price is US$115 plus US$22.21 for shipping/handling = US$ 137.21

That probably means that Kew and Natural History Publications have distribution rights outside the Americas. Should just be a matter of time. The book hasn't been released yet. Give them a few days.

What I want to know is when it will be released in e-book format.

Will it be released as an ebook at all? I much prefer it that way.

Only one Cribb.

Ugghhhhh..... anyone know when Prof. Braem will be dropping his? I prefer not to give money to Cribb if at all possible.

Did you get it in your hands yet Tom? Worth it in your opinion?

Thanks
Jake

Not yet, Jake. It's supposed to be shipped next Tuesday. I'll post after I've have a chance to look it over. If it's as good as Cribb's The Genus Paphiopedilum, it will be well received.

Last edited:
Only one Cribb.

Ugghhhhh..... anyone know when Prof. Braem will be dropping his? I prefer not to give money to Cribb if at all possible.

I'm not a fan of Mr. Cribb either. I'm no taxonomist but his views are sometimes far away from logic.

About Guido Braem's book. The last thing I heard is that he is looking for funds and a publisher to get the book out.

Rob.

Not sure whether release as an ebook is planned. The Orchid Digest ([email protected]) may know the answer to that. According to my order confirmation, the hard copy book is supposed to be shipped next Tuesday, April 11.

Tom, I hope the confirmation is correct. The web site says that the book will probably come available mid-may.

Rob.

Naoki,

There should be a green box in the upper left hand corner of the front page of the orchiddigest.com website that says "Order Here". The price is US$115 plus US$22.21 for shipping/handling = US$ 137.21

Thanks you, I found it and placed the order. There was only UPS shipping option, and it was charging $50 for shipping to AK. But I asked them about USPS shipping, and now they added the cheaper shipping option!

I asked which shipping date is correct, and they said that April 12 in the confirmation email was erroneous. So actual shipping date is more like mid-May.

FWIW I spoke with Prof Braem and he hopes to have his self published edition out towards the end of the year.

Cribb's stuff is always well received, but I do not care for his attitude and approach in handling a lot of things. His knowledge can't be refuted but he comes across as a self entitled, arrogant ass, who seems to care more for his own ventures then anything. But then again I have never met the man, and I know as well as anyone that words and actions can be misconstrued.

Would be interesting to see his point of view about the caudatum and schlimii complexes...
The text of the Braem book is ready 99% and it is being "indesigned" by now. It is going to be a great Book with some "surprises"... very interesting surprises :evil:

Latest posts

Back