New Paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck w/ that Julius, looks nice! Mine is in sheath....but don't tell it I told you so...;) Sly thing.

I got a Lady Isabel this week but it is decidedly smaller than I expected and had a lot of rotted roots. Normans. phhfftt! :rolleyes:
Really, it's not that bad, but their photo was deceptive. I was trying to get something bigger than what I already had and...um...no.

Tony said:
Ok, Marco, I lied. I picked these three up today from Odom's Orchids.

Nice pick ups Tony. I have a feeling someones gonna have growing problems soon cause those plants are gonna get bigger and your grow space is just gonna get smaller. :rollhappy: I have a bunch of sanderianum hybrid seedlings thats are working their way there. :poke:

They look fantastic.
I was out at the grocers this morning and picked up
5 slippers (alba marginata I believe) with no labels.
The clerk said there was a problem with shipment
so she sold them to me at a considerable discount.
(Regular price $29.99 sale $2.99)

These came in today from Norman's Orchids. I was disappointed by the size of most of them, all except the sanderianum were advertised as NBS, but the only one I could see blooming anytime soon is the Iantha Stage. I am reserving final judgment until I hear back from their customer service department, but they sure didn't make a good first impression.

Left to right: Harold Koopowitz, sanderianum, rothschildianum, hangianum x roths., and Iantha Stage.

DSC00135_Small_.JPG

Tony said:
Why? Aren't all hybrids legal?
Unfortunately not. Check out the discussion here: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788
I'm of the camp that thinks all hybrids should be legal.

It comes down to the legality of the parent plants all the way down the line.

Don't worry, I'm not calling the feds on you!

Edit: I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm just surprised that a huge vendor like Norman's has the cajones or lack of research to offer a hangianum hybrid for sale.

Hey Tony,

Norman's follows a pattern. They send decent plants sometimes, but eventually, will send you a real dog. They have major pest problems so make sure you quarantine the new plants and check them over really good before you add them to your regular growing area.

Once you get a total crap plant from them, you will have a hard time getting a response from customer service, which is just one guy who is a real douchebag. He is arrogant beyond belief. You will probably have to get him on the phone if at all.

They might replace a sick plant, or one mislabeled, but don't expect it if you have any other complaints. After this happened to me, I swore them off forever. Then I started reading threads all over the place about how crappy they can be in the service department.

I hate them as a business, and they are never getting another dime from me. I hope you develop the same commitment.

They won't see another dime from me. The plants they sent me are undersized, with roots that are mediocre at best, and potted in badly decomposed bark. I had to move the roths and Iantha Stage to smaller pots after removing all the dead roots. There are plenty of other vendors who are a pleasure to buy from, I'm done with Norman's.

Edit: I noticed they now have a Paph helenae hybrid listed, that's another illegal one isn't it?

Latest posts

Back