New Paphiopedilum book...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Zuiderwijk

www.slipperiana.info
Reaction score
Hi all,

I didn't see it mentioned on the forum yet and I thought it might interest people.

Guido Braem reports on his facebook page that a new and updated version of his 'The Genus Paphiopedilum 2nd Edition' will be published soon. This time it is a paper version with and I quote "666 pages, 247 illustrations (of which 222 are in colour), 98 species"

He also writes: "If all goes well, it will go to the printers in June ..."

I personally am looking forward to it.

Rob.

Thanks, Rob. I'm glad this will be in paper. Although I like most things on a computer, I found it hard to get through the e-book.

Amen Abax. I have heard it is in the works, but rumors abound

Excellent addition to existing Paph. info. books. Now if
we only had a really juicy Phrag. book. Wouldn't that
be heaven??!!!

There is the one from Olaf of course - if your german suffices:rollhappy:

My bet is Cribb will be the first to publish, but Braem will follow up with a much more detailed and concise volume. It's the "when" part that kills me!! ??

Bjorn, I had two years of German in college and I haven't
used it in so long that I'd really have to struggle to translate. Eric, pretty photos are nice, but I want information on growing. Please
tell more about Olaf's book.

If the info. concerning Braem is correct, I'll wait for his
book. I've read too many rather nasty things about Kew, Cribb and the orchid police.

Angela, follow jeanlux's link get the mailadress and write to them. A little hazzle but the book is great value as well as very informative. Recommended:D

Begs the question why it has not been translated to English though!? If it is so good, solid author, obvious interest... why hasn't anyone translated it? Not like German is some archaic lost language that only three scholars know!?

Riiiiiiight, Wendy and JAB! Bjorn, are you offering to translate from
German to English for me???? :>)

Jus to clarify, german is my third langage after norwegian and english.:p reading is ok but translating?:eek:

Oh, I wasn't suggesting one you all translate it. Just surprised no one out there has thus far.

I know JAB. I was just teasing Bjorn. Most western Europeans speak several languages because of the proximity geographically. Americans expect EVERYbody
to speak English for our convenience. Americans are also
generally unfamiliar with the metric system (with the
exception of the scientific community) and expect EVERYbody else to convert to suit us. It's part of our
"exceptionalism" don't ya know. I've always admired the
multilingual Europeans.

Metrics? That must be one of those German words.
LOL! I hear ya... Americans are sadly embarrassing most of the time. When I travel abroad I tell everyone I am Canadian, eh! Mitigates a lot of BS!

Back