New Paph Buds need advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

patrix

I was poking around the greenhouse and found several paphs setting buds- I have bloomed them all before but recall it was in the Spring. Much to me delight, I found a Malipoense that was also setting bud. I have heard they can take a long time to grow and open. One site told the that in the wild they set buds in fall which open in spring, What cah I do to preserve the possibility of blooming this, I have cut back abit on water- Should I leave it in th conditions that developed the bud or bring it into a cooler glass room with slighly less light. I really was to make this happen, Thanks to all for helping

i'd suggest that you send them to me to ensure they bloom, but with my culture lately, it'll ensure they don't bloom....
be extra careful about not getting water in the crown and all...

How far along is it? The peduncle on Malipoense is well over a foot tall.

If you are already getting bud formation on a mature spike then I wouldn't move it or drastically change watering.

If it's not broken, don't fix it!

If you want to blast the bud, change the conditions it has gotten used to.

Also, avoid getting water in the crown of the plant especially if the bud spike is still in the crown. Getting cold water around the bud will also speed the blasting process, so avoid that too.

Jon

It is about 1.5 inches tall, sturdy and the bud baby is about 1/2 inch, I am planning to water only the surface of the pot and no water of crown as directed. I lowered it to a slight less light level but ca easily return it to the place of the shelf-thanks for all yalls help

In the wild the more northern latitude parvis are exposed to cool and low rainfall winters, but increases in light levels due to less cloud cover and leaf fall from semi and full deciduous trees in the winter. So I would increase light rather than decrease it (a decrease would be analogous to the warm wet season when parvis aren't blooming).

Latest posts

Back