New Member in San Jose

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Growers,

My name is Rick Barry if you haven't figured that one out. I've been growing orchids since about 1992. I started with a Phalaenopsis given to me as a gift. When I succesfully cultivated and re-bloomed that plant I was immediately bitten by the orchid growing bug with which most of you are familiar. In my search for local sources for plants I quickly realized that Central California is home to some to some of the finest Paph breeders and growers in the world. The relative ease of cultivation combined with the local availability of quality Paphs ultimately led me to focus on that genus.
I could state how many plants I currently have, but I'm not even sure how to go about counting them. From flasks to compots to mature plants it must be less than 300, but not a lot less. My sources for plants have varied, but my favorite is (naturally) the Orchid Zone. Other favorites include Tonkins (now out of business, but previously a great source for legacy complexes), Nick Tannaci (brachys and parvys), and the Orchid House (also now closed, but it was also a fine source for complexes). For flasks I pick from what's available at the annual Paph Guild meeting (now in Morro Bay).

For those who haven't already gone on to the next thread I would like to offer a few comments regarding some previously posted threads.

Very few, even the most knowledgeable of breeders, can identify an unidentified hybrid with any level of certainty based upon its visual characteristics. One may speculate and speak in terms of probabilities, but once a plant loses its identification it is fated to remain unknown and should always be presented as such.

Buyers should be wary of Paphs offered as awarded clones unless they are able to see the plant in bloom, or the provenance of the plant is beyond question. Some breeders ignore the difference between a selfing and a division.

I look forward to joining in your discussions (especially the ongoing 'Name the Primary') as well as viewing your fine photos.

Regards,
Rick

Welcome to the forum, Rick! Hope to hear more from you in the future.

- Matthew Gore

Rick Barry said:
Very few, even the most knowledgeable of breeders, can identify an unidentified hybrid with any level of certainty based upon its visual characteristics. One may speculate and speak in terms of probabilities, but once a plant loses its identification it is fated to remain unknown and should always be presented as such.

Buyers should be wary of Paphs offered as awarded clones unless they are able to see the plant in bloom, or the provenance of the plant is beyond question. Some breeders ignore the difference between a selfing and a division.
Welcome to the forum. Sound like you have a lot of experience! I agree with your statements completely!

Welcome, Rick. Thanks for your words of advise. It is true that there is so much confusion about names that it would be a mistake to give an unnamed orchid a name arbitrarily.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'll check my pictures for items that may be of interest. I'm going to the Orchid Zone on Thursday and I'll take a few pictures while I'm there.

Latest posts

Back