New Lightstand

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
My collection had been growing beyond its confines, so I needed to expand the space. Took about a day and a half to build this lightstand over my vacation.

Also put in a new 250 Watt HPS lamp for my plants to enjoy...

You've done a great job.
Why not buy one of those adjustable garage shelving systems from the hardware - takes 20mins to build and is adjustable and fairly weather resistant.
How does the wood flooring cope with the humidity and water spills?

Thanks! i thought about just buying a shelf but i already had built the other two in past years so wanted it to match.

The floor is sealed with oil-based polyurethane, but i generally don't spill water on it. The plants are in trays that i move to the outside or to the kitchen to water.

We just bought this house this year, and so far the humidity has been reasonable. In the summer it is 50% RH. For the cold season we've had so far I've kept it around 40% without condensation.

Someday i need to build a greenhouse.

Thanks! i thought about just buying a shelf but i already had built the other two in past years so wanted it to match.

The floor is sealed with oil-based polyurethane, but i generally don't spill water on it. The plants are in trays that i move to the outside or to the kitchen to water.

We just bought this house this year, and so far the humidity has been reasonable. In the summer it is 50% RH. For the cold season we've had so far I've kept it around 40% without condensation.

Someday i need to build a greenhouse.

You are echoing my experience. :)

Looks very nice Justin. Do you use hoods with the ballasts already mounted in them? didn't see any and it looks like the power cord is going directly into the wall outlet.

Looks very nice Justin. Do you use hoods with the ballasts already mounted in them? didn't see any and it looks like the power cord is going directly into the wall outlet.

yep there is a 250 Watt MH and a 250 Watt HPS, both have the ballast enclosed in the unit. The HPS is a digital ballast switchable to MH. I got them from plantlightinghydropnics.com

Hmmmm, seems I predicted this sort of thing. Let me know if you want to trade for one of the LaVingtaines. :)

Hi Eric i think this was meant for Ehanes, but if you can score me a Lavingtaine that would be appreciated lol.

That looks fantastic, Justin. Very cool set-up, and much more efficient than my tactic whenever I get too many plants (which is to sneak them into other rooms of the house when no one is around to give me a dirty look, in the hope that the invaders won't be noticed on the previously unoccupied windowsills). How long do the lights stay on?

Steve

The lights are on from 6AM to 9PM. The new HPS is on for a shorter period for now, since it is pretty intense and i want to give the plants time to adjust.

Because of the porch roof, I don't get much usuable natural light except for a couple hours in the afternoon.

I grow them indoors all year long. I'm too much of a control freak to put the plants outside in the summer.

I grow them indoors all year long. I'm too much of a control freak to put the plants outside in the summer.

You're a much wiser guy than I am. It's usually whenever I find the first grasshopper of the growing season (often observed as it's sitting on a flower spike while enjoying a nice al fresco orchid salad) that I begin to question the wisdom of summering the plants outdoors.

You're a much wiser guy than I am. It's usually whenever I find the first grasshopper of the growing season (often observed as it's sitting on a flower spike while enjoying a nice al fresco orchid salad) that I begin to question the wisdom of summering the plants outdoors.

Bugs aren't the problem for me. It's the darn neighbor's cats and squirrels that knock everything over and/or bury acorns in the pots.

Justin, I get the control freak thing completely. Summering outdoors is
great for the orchids, but I'm a nervous wreck. Cats, squirrels, bugs...oh my! I can "control" who and what goes into my greenhouse.

Back