• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New LED Light

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granted, if the light is focused to a narrower beam, that restricts the angles and concentrates the photons, allowing a greater percentage to penetrate the surface.

Yes, the angle of incidence is a big factor. If the water surface isn't flat then far more is lost to reflection for this reason making lighting models very tenuous. Most LEDs have a focal spread of about 120o which means the beams strike the water surface at 60o from the vertical. Of course none of this applies to our plants :clap:

Yes, the angle of incidence is a big factor. If the water surface isn't flat then far more is lost to reflection for this reason making lighting models very tenuous. Most LEDs have a focal spread of about 120o which means the beams strike the water surface at 60o from the vertical. Of course none of this applies to our plants :clap:

???

If the LEDs are facing straight down onto the water surface, the angle of incidence is 0° in the middle of the beam, gradually increasing to 60° from vertical at the perimeter of the circle created by that 120° spread.

If the LEDs are facing straight down onto the water surface, the angle of incidence is 0° in the middle of the beam, gradually increasing to 60° from vertical at the perimeter of the circle created by that 120° spread.

Yes. That is what I was trying to say. I wish you could have explained my thesis to one of my examiners. We seem to be on the same wave-length.

An Update

My experiences, so far:

• I put two of the lamps in a 55-gallon tank, about 18" above some jewel orchid seedlings, and they are all growing nicely.
  • I have one about 15" above an African violet my wife put in a dark bathroom, and in the last 4 weeks it has doubled the number of leaves and is forming buds - something it has not done in 5 months.
  • These are VERY popular, so sold out completely. My shopping cart script makes them disappear if there are none available, so that's why folks couldn't find them.

A Restock and Upgrade:

• While I was in Italy (a "zero birthday" vacation for my wife and I), the manufacturer did some tuning of the chips to my specifications, combining different white phosphors and red chips, resulting in more red in the spectrum (supposed to be good for flowering), and better color rendition.
  • The first 20 have be received and are now available.
  • The $10-off "LED" coupon code is still in effect, through the end of the month.
  • I can fit up to 3 of these in a small USPS flat rate box, making the shipping $5.15 in the US, $12.95 to Canada.

I'm really interested in these. I would have ordered one had I figured out where to put it. or should I say, where to put it without getting the wife and kid's PO'd. But I just got a small one as a light for my son's shrimp tank. It looks really nice and bright on a 10 gal tank. i tried it on my 30 clownfish tank, and it just looked really dim. But on 10 gal, it looks great.

I'm really interested in these. I would have ordered one had I figured out where to put it. or should I say, where to put it without getting the wife and kid's PO'd. But I just got a small one as a light for my son's shrimp tank. It looks really nice and bright on a 10 gal tank. i tried it on my 30 clownfish tank, and it just looked really dim. But on 10 gal, it looks great.

My thought is not to use the light solely for the whole tank, but as an accent light for something tha needs more light. So for your clownfish tank, lets say you have a photosynthetic anenome, a tridacna or some light loving coral, put this light just over it, along with what ever lighting system you're using.

I already have a 96wt PC bulb on that tank.....supports loads of mushrooms and a Montipora coral. When I put the LED on in addition, its not noticeable. I'll keep it on my shrimp tank. But when the old PC set up on my 55 gal reef finally dies (I've had it over 10 years now) I might try replacing it with LED, if I can afford it. otherwise I'll just go with T5's. I don't think anybody uses PC's anymore.

LAST DAY of SALE! Only 5 Left

Today (30 September 2012) is the last day that I will be offering these bulbs at the discounted price, and and it will apply only to the current remaining stock. (As of this post, that's 5 bulbs - I cannot believe how quickly these are selling!)

No coupon code necessary, just click here and order.

The manufacturer sent me a spectral graph (vertical scales not equal, of course)

Plant-LED-Spectra.jpg

That "lump" in the green/yellow region is why they look white to the human eye, as that is where they are most sensitive.

One person posted a review on my website: "Man! These are bright! Finally, someone has figured out an LED that doesn't make your plants look terrible!"

My own experience is with non-blooming African violets in a dark bathroom having only a small, north-facing window about 10 feet away. The dark one has been bloom-free since April, you can see the new, compact growth versus the old, leggy stuff. This photo was 8 weeks after adding the light, 20" above the foliage.

AVs_under_LED.jpg

Latest posts

Back