• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New LED Light

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have long been intrigued by the potential of LED lighting for plants. The first ones were combinations of red and blue LEDs, but while the plants may have grown well under them (search for Rob's comments), the appearance of the plants and flowers under them was like something from outer space! Newer technology has brought us white light, making them far more acceptable for use in the home.

I have just gotten in some 13W bulbs containing 64 LEDs having a color temperature in the range of 5700-6400°K, like a bright day outdoors. They screw into a standard "Edison" (incandescent bulb) fixture, and are 7.75" in total length, including the base. The light emitting array is 5.125" x 1.125", and is protected by a clear plastic lens to prevent issues with misting or splashing of water. The base has some rotational ability, so there is room for adjustment once it is screwed into the socket.

LED_1.jpg

I only have a limited number for testing, so if you'd like to join in, please check out our retail store.

AND... if you use the coupon code "LED" at checkout, I'll knock $10 off of the price.

I placed my order for one -- will use it over a standard-sized african violet to see how well it performs. Thanks Ray!

I don't have a working light meter at the moment, but an iPhone photo light meter app suggests about 250 fc one foot from the lamp, which is actually about 10-15% greater than that measured from a 2' T5 bulb with no reflector from the same distance.

The LEDs have no lenses on them, so the scatter is pretty broad, but that also suggests that there could be some benefit to using a decent reflector to focus the light more centrally. Like Mark, I am trying one over an AV my wife put in our upstairs guest bathroom, and I can telly you that it really lights up that room!

While not the same as the units I carry, they are very close. We sell them mainly for terrarium/vivarium growers, and recommend one of these over a 12x12x18" or 18x18x18" tank (or deeper, even 2' is fine). Larger tanks (24" wide) I will usually suggest two.

That is sufficient for putting good color on bromeliads (which frog people love). Color in bromeliads is intensely light dependent (although the reds are amplified by cool temperatures in my experience, just like orchids). Anyway, if you can color up broms, you can grow anything.

If you want white light (and many people do), in my opinion these type of units are the best thing out there right now for the price. There are also 'fluorescent tube' style strips, which are pretty awesome, but definitely more expensive. I don't have them listed on the website, but if you are interested I'll be happy to bend your ear, but they are going to be around twice as much as these 13W screw-in style. For pure growing without viewing, the red/blue lights (alien abduction lights) are still your best bet.

I don't have a working light meter at the moment, but an iPhone photo light meter app suggests about 250 fc one foot from the lamp, which is actually about 10-15% greater than that measured from a 2' T5 bulb with no reflector from the same distance.

Ray, do have real measures for the LEDs and T5s and can you provide the specs of the lamps? A datasheet with spectrum info would be great. Also, which T5 are you using for comparison? I ask because we, in the planted aquarium world, are struggling to gauge just how much more effective LEDs are over tube lighting. We have a pretty good idea, based on spectral info, that the W/m2 is a good measure of how much PAR/m2 you get from a tube but our LED estimates are way out based on what data we can get off the net.

Linus - it only draws 13W, so pretty much any lamp fixture will do.

Tyrone - I have been asking for the specs myself, but don't have them at this time. The T5 was a 24W Hydrofarm "High Performance" fixture, which comes with a 6500°K bulb.

Have once been heavily into planted tanks, I fully understand where you're coming from. A lot of folks don't grasp the HUGE difference water makes to the penetrating light.

My plan is to use this as a "spot light" to supplement my T5 double light hood for the tank. Hopefully the additional light will help a Amazon sword or tiger lotus (assuming the plecos don't eat the plants).

Oh, and will try one light on some strap leaf multifloral paphs.

(One day, I'll do a paludriam with phrags growing in the water and some fish; maybe this "spotlight" would help the phrags?).

Thanks for the reply Ray. We have built up an extensive data set over at www.apsa.co.za regarding tubes and LEDs. What we are finding is that the LEDs may be far superior to the T5/T8s simply because of their focused beams. As far as aquariums go, even with a good reflector, a great deal of light from tubes may be lost to surface reflection.

Thanks for the reply Ray. We have built up an extensive data set over at www.apsa.co.za regarding tubes and LEDs. What we are finding is that the LEDs may be far superior to the T5/T8s simply because of their focused beams. As far as aquariums go, even with a good reflector, a great deal of light from tubes may be lost to surface reflection.

Where's the data set at aspsa?

Tyrone, neither these, not the "Jungle Dawn" models have lenses on the chips, so they are fully dispersive, but I don't care how much focus might be on a light source, the angle of incidence to the water surface will always determine the relative amounts of reflection and penetration of the light.

Granted, if the light is focused to a narrower beam, that restricts the angles and concentrates the photons, allowing a greater percentage to penetrate the surface.

OK, since these LEDs are solid-state and can be encapsulated, why are there no submersible lights for planted tanks?

OH, by the way - I have found that up to three of these fit nicely in a small, USPS flat-rate box, so shipping is only $5.15 in the US, $12.95 to Canada.

Do you still have them? I'm considering one...but I have to think of where to put it and what fixture to use.

I've found 'cabinet fixtures' that have the right configuration, but nobody seems to have them in stock... What I usually do is take a 'radar dish' style clip-on light reflector and just take the dish off... That seems to work.

OK, since these LEDs are solid-state and can be encapsulated, why are there no submersible lights for planted tanks?

There are some underwater accent LEDs available... For lighting up bubble streams, etc. But I've never seen a submersible 'growing' style fixture. Interesting. I have something that could conceivably be adapted to doing that, but no need to try it (I don't do reef tanks). I could be convinced to attempt it, perhaps.

Back