New kovachii cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of a new kovachii cross by Chuck Acker. This is Phrag. Fall River (Petit Port x fisherii) x kovachii 'Peruvian Love'. My plant is just 2.5 years from flask. I purchased the plant directly from Chuck. It is a small plant and the flowet is approx. 3.5 inches across. For a first bloom and so early, I think it is beautiful.
George

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
The dorsal is always a bit of a disappointment for me on some kov. hybrids. This bloom is beautiful, but the
lighter dorsal is a distraction compared to the pouch and petals. The color of the petals and pouch is
stunningly beautiful.

Very nice plant. Very nice flower. Breeding kovachii into smaller, easier to grow plants. There is a future in this approach to breeding Phrags.

For those of us that like to peel back the onion, this plant is 43% schlimii, 6% besseae, and 50% kovachii. It looks like the compound use of schlimii through the prior generations has significantly reduced the size of the plant from what we would see in a straight primary cross of schlimii x kovavhii (Eumelia Arias).

Since many years hybridization showed without any doubt that using fischerii instead as schlimii in breeding is giving to the offspring more intense coloration and often reduced it sized too.

On this hybrid we can see that the fischerii is taking over the schlimii… 50 kovachii + 25 fischerii + 18.25 schlimii + 6.25 besseae

The dorsal is always a bit of a disappointment for me on some kov. hybrids. This bloom is beautiful, but the
lighter dorsal is a distraction compared to the pouch and petals. The color of the petals and pouch is
stunningly beautiful.
I tend to disagree! I think the lighter color of the dorsal gives the flower another demension of color. It also adds contrast and keeps the eye moving. All while maintaining the hue continuity, it breaks the mononity of all the same color appendages. Thus giving the flower a wider spectrum of color.

Latest posts

Back