New Koopowitz book

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread that was started on Roths recently might be a way to start this kind of information, where people are posting crosses of the various grexes of the roth orchids.
If additional information is eventually added about in situ plants and other information, and similar threads were started for other species, maybe a group effort could result in such information for a number of species.

More needed?

I have the Lance Birk 2nd ed., the Braem/Baker and the Braem/Chiron all of which are helpful and fun to spend time with. Not the Cribb and not the Koopowitz. My impression from this thread is that in the Koopowitz there is some redundancy in the species coverage and that it is particularly worthwhile if one is interested in hybridizing. Does that about sum it up? Not to take away from the volume - I'm certainly no-one to do that - but I'm inclined to think that my extant library is probably sufficient for the more casual hobbyist (??)

Thanks,

John

I just got through the first chapter... gosh I'm a slow reader... anyhow... interesting to note that the "Golden Ages" seems to be very anglo-centric.

I hope that as I progress through the book, more will be discussed about how the Japanese market has spurred countries like Taiwan to move into growing and breeding Paphs. Also, with Taiwan's treatment of CITES, they are better placed to provide the future (ie mass produce) many of the species slippers.

apart from the above, it reads well and the pictures are lovely (although only one of Paph philippinense and with a tape measure to boot)

From the few pages I have read so far I like the book by Harold. I am also reading one of the books by Braem, but I think they are two complete different things depending on what you want to get from the book. The Braem book gives me a lot of technical info, but the book by Koopowitz provides me with lots of breeding info.

I am yet to read this one, I hope it turns out to be as great as expectations are.

Back