New Koopowitz book

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Heather.

Most books on (tropical) slipper orchids tend to focus on the Paphiopedilums. And yes I know that Paphs are a bigger group than the Phrags. However since the discovery of Phrag. besseae in the early 80's, interest in Phrags has had a major boost and I think that since the discovery of (and all the buzz arround) Phrag. kovachii interest is even greater. So yes I too think we need a serious book on Phragmipedium.

Rob

Last edited:
Word on the street is that Cribb has one in the pipeline, but I'm pretty sure I heard that well over a year ago, so who really knows?

Dr. Guido Braem is also doing quite some research on Phragmipedium lately. See for example his articles on the section Phragmipedium (the caudatum-group) which he published in the last year or two.
I wonder if he is preparing for a publication on the entire genus.

Rob

Lance A. Birk"s new edition of the Paphiopedilum Grower's Manual or Koopowitz's book???? Which of these two do you think should be the first choice for a novice paphiopedilum grower? By the way Amazon has Kopowitz's book for $37.77 though it has a different cover and more pages.

Lance A. Birk"s new edition of the Paphiopedilum Grower's Manual or Koopowitz's book???? Which of these two do you think should be the first choice for a novice paphiopedilum grower? By the way Amazon has Kopowitz's book for $37.77 though it has a different cover and more pages.

What's the deal with that? Do they all ship with the same cover? I must confess that I much prefer the cover with the Lady Isabel (?).

Dr. Guido Braem is also doing quite some research on Phragmipedium lately. See for example his articles on the section Phragmipedium (the caudatum-group) which he published in the last year or two.
I wonder if he is preparing for a publication on the entire genus.

Rob

See this thread: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1884

It looks like a Dr. Braem book probably won't happen, which is quite unfortunate.

Thanks for the reference to the thread. I don't know how, but I missed that thread all together.

It's unfortunate that Guido won't/can't finish this publication.

buy.com always beats Amazon on price for books. However, Amazon has the bigger selection, and at the time I ordered last year only Amazon had it listed, and I wanted it! so, I figued a few $$ doesn't matter that much. As it is, it cost me, what? $37? No tax, no shipping.....and I love that book! Rob, it has phrags, but I haven't reached the phrag portion of the book yet, so I can't say yet how good it is...but if it is anywhere near the paph part in quality, it will be worth the price for phrag people who don't care about paphs. Take care, Eric

Amazon dropped this book on my doorstep a couple of days ago. It's a fair mix of basic information and scientific mumbo-jumbo.

One thing that immediately jumped out at me was the section on Paph. tigrinum. This section reads like the continuation of a feud between rival orchid growers. It felt really out of place, and if the rest of the book follows the same suit, I will dump it on eBay. Awkward, to say the least.

The tigrinum section has to be taken with a grain of salt...and a good sense of humor. This "feud" between Koopowitz and Braem is probably at this point more for fun than anything else...despite their swipes at each other they apparently hold each other in high regard and with a great deal of respect. Afterall, Braem asked Koopowitz to write the introduction for his book with Chiron. I actually find the book softpedalling the science a bit...in many cases, Koopowitz seems to be maintaining old classifications for horticultural purposes, and the book is clearly horticulturally oriented, rather than scientific. What I find very interesting is Koopowitz' concession that Braem may be right about the priority of P. crossii over callosum...but then says that the name callosum should be retained. Taxonomically, there really is no choice...if the name crossii is validly written, and pre-dates callosum, it has to be the correct name. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back