New Humble beginnings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
My new humble grow area.

I have two of these but I only have one set up for the time being. :( I cannot set up the other one until we are fully unboxed and furniture is all up. After we are unboxed, both will be in the living room (hopefully unless the boss has objections)

They will be in east facing windows with some shade from trees during the spring and summer months.

I figure I can fit 4 tiny plants on each tray. First two up to plate will be a pink neo and sedirea japonica (pending receipt from NWO).

The other two I haven't figured out yet. I was thinking two more nice sized neos or one neo with a smaller growing phal. For the Phal a Javanica or Violacea although I'm skeptical about the Javanica. Last Javanica I had died within weeks of receiving. Although that particular javanica was still a tiny baby.

I'm glad to be getting back into the groove even though its a small groove.

Thoughts and comment welcome. Thanks!

Lol.. those filled up around it filled up other windows filled up, your better off devoting a bedroom or greenhouse, face it, it's gonna happen lol..

Good to see you back, Marco! :)

Nice start!

Eric - Thanks. All of my space is officially gone. I gave all my credit cards but one (the one i use for lunch) to Maria this morning and asked her to never give it back to me. Been Browsing for noes at NWO and spent much more than I anticipated. :sob:

Will post photos as the plants start rolling in.

Just came in the mail. First reaction is "wow, they packed this thing good". I always wanted to get a VFT. Ever since Eric (Eorchids) posted his carnivore pics a long time ago. SFL you pushed me over the edge with the suggestion on the Akai Ryu :poke:. I love the "caution may bite" sticker.

Maria and I also got this from a friend that gave it to us as a semi-house warming gift.

I have a Phal amboinensis f. lava coming in from big leaf.

Still waiting for confirmation on NWO for 3 plants. Getting anxious on NWO.

I have two neo pots from japan waiting at my local USPS for pickup.

And....the NY Rangers just scored! It's a good day and will be a good week!

Nice! I'm glad I got you to go for one :D soon enough you'll be into all sorts of carnivores, I can pretty much see everyone on this forum absolutely loving Utricularia from the section orchodiodes and U. Longifolia too :)
If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer :D

They are here! My order from NWO came in. Also, Kristen is carrying on Dr. Lehr's traditions to the T. Healthy plants and the nice freebees. She put in two sets of chopsticks. Must be something in the water because our chopsticks that we normally use are worn out and faded and I was telling Maria a couple of weeks ago that we needed new chopsticks.

The goods in the order are -

1) 15 growth Neo. var. benisuzume : I counted 16-17 growths. There were about 2 pups pups every other growth was NBS or BS.
2) 8 growth Neo. var. sekai : I counted 9. One was hidden under the root system. This was the one I fat fingered. Kristen was gracious enough to swap out the hime seikai for this beauty.
3) Sedirea Japonica var. minmaru shima : Beautiful plant. I was planning on putting this in an SH Pot. However, now I'm at an impasse on whether to go semi-hydro or traditional.
4) 4 black glazed neo pots : I thought that I would have to repot when I received the plants. They arrived in plastic neo pots with fresh sphag. I'm keeping them in the plastic neo pots until they have to be repotted. Then I'll move them into the glazed pots
5) Freebee chopsticks

L to R: benisuzume, sekai, minmaru shima

benisuzume

sekai

minmaru shima

Full grow area. Second tray will likely come out of the box very soon
L to R : VFT Akai Ryu, benisuzume, sekai, minmaru shima, Phal. amboinensis var flava, false shamrock

the pots. These will sit displayed on a shelf with the pots [thread link] I received the other day.

I'm glad to see postings on Neofinetia on a Slipper forum! Your narrative and pictures are also entertaining. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back