New here - Greetings from NYC!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBaby

Reaction score
Hi All!

I’m Paul, just joined last week. Thought I’d introduce myself. I live in the NYC / Tri-state area, meaning I grow in an apartment under lights (5000k t8 LEDs). I’ve been reading threads here for a while which were super informative.

I grow multis, parvis, just getting into the brachies, and some sigmatopetalum species. Not a huge fan of the barbata types but maybe that will change. For phrags I grow Kovachii species and hybrids, some mini hybrids and caudatum types too. I recently potted up some compots of Kovachii which I posted in the culture board. Also some little oddities here & there - love Dimorphorchis :)

This year I’ve been experimenting with deflasking. Currently growing compots of Paphs: Screaming eagle, Wenshanense, Xanthophyllum and Tigrinum. (Liberty Taiwan with micranthum eburneum coming in the next few weeks from Hung Sheng) For phrags just Kovachii for now. Maybe people here would be interested in photos of these plants or opening up discussion about deflasking these plants? So far the Tigrinum has been the most troubling experience of the bunch.

Controlling fungal growth and mold are really the only struggles I have, especially with new compots, some of which stay in plastic bags for long periods of time with little air movement. This is due to my very dry indoor air conditions.

Okay this is long enough. I’ve attached a photo of some of my seedlings. Thanks for reading!

Very best - P x

Attachments

• 712034B1-CF02-4D49-B2F9-DBF67EC0CDF5.jpeg
    712034B1-CF02-4D49-B2F9-DBF67EC0CDF5.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 36
Thanks for the messages everyone. Interesting thread Linus.

Welcome from NYC. Are you a member of any of the area societies?

Eric, I’m in Jersey City and an MOS member. East Hanover is a hike for me so I haven’t joined NJOS yet but their show is one of the region’s best.

I miss being able to water from the tap across the river!

Very best - Paul

Welcome aboard! People here are incredibly informed and nice and it’s the first email I open every morning. I’m interested in your kovachii compots! Dream plant for most of us. I’m in the city of Chicago, window-grower. This is the view from my bed:

Attachments

• 0B7AB187-610F-4D91-84C6-D81B05061D6B.jpeg
    0B7AB187-610F-4D91-84C6-D81B05061D6B.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 24
Great setup Brucher! Mine is less homey and more industrial. Photo below. I’m thinking of trying a small fish tank like your orchidarium for miniatures, seedlings etc.

And yes Manhattan Orchid Society. ;) The Kovachii is a dream plant for me as well. Given good survival & growth I will offer some of these plants in a year or 2.

Attachments

• 66683EC5-B984-40E6-8F0E-F50F04174695.jpeg
    66683EC5-B984-40E6-8F0E-F50F04174695.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 23
A warm welcome on board, Paul - from across the Ocean!

And thanks to both you and Brucher for the pictures of your plant arrangements. I'm on the verge...no, sorry, that's not quite the truth: I've completely run out of space, so splendidly inspiring to see!
I'm definately not the most practical guy on earth - but that 'bookcase'-arrangement might be within my zone of proximate development! :D

Kind regards,
Jens, Copenhagen, Denmark

I'm on the verge...no, sorry, that's not quite the truth: I've completely run out of space, so splendidly inspiring to see!
I'm definately not the most practical guy on earth - but that 'bookcase'-arrangement might be within my zone of proximate development! :D

Kind regards,
I know you're kidding, right? :p

A warm welcome on board, Paul - from across the Ocean!

And thanks to both you and Brucher for the pictures of your plant arrangements. I'm on the verge...no, sorry, that's not quite the truth: I've completely run out of space, so splendidly inspiring to see!

Kind regards,

Jens, thank you for the message. I’ve read some of your threads in the past that have been super helpful to me. This shelf is as large as I can go... for now :)

Neal, the President is a member here.

Eric, I thought Neal had to be a member.

Now this may be a bit off topic but was hoping for some help. My Hung Sheng flask order was cancelled. There was a mixup and the vendor was sent plants in my name instead of my flask (none of which are identified yet because the coding system is different) - and he doesn’t want to order again. Is there a vendor I can order HS flasks through in the US?

Thanks all! - P x

I had a conversation with Holger Perner before he passed away. He told me he had problems with tigrinum consistently until he started using inocucor which you can get from Ray Barkalow at First Rays on line.

Latest posts

Back