New from New York!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your medium is non-organic? Also what do you keep your humidity levels at to help encourage strong moss growth?

I quote myself to provide you with the information:
I grow my paphs in a non-organic medium, Greenmix, mainly consisting of rockwool (diabas), perlite and lignite, i.e. both waterabsorbing and waterrepellent material.
When properly used, in a short while a nice layer of moss will form on top of the medium... the medium shouldn't be allowed to dry out completely, but the waterrepellent elements should allow for air and some dryness for the roots...
Our local mastergrower and my mentor in most things orchiadic, mr. Hans Christiansen from Orchidégartneriet in Fredensborg (P. hennisianum fma. christiansenii, Phrag. christiansenianum - yes, it's him!) swears to it, some people at my local orchid society seems to hate it... Actually, it appears to me, that the question of growth media is the thing most likely to bring on something akin to religious war among orchid growers! :D:D
In this, parallel to so many other aspects of life, my own rather agnostic maxim would be: choose the growth media(s) you feel comfortable with and get to know it real well, learn from your errors, and don't change what works well! Or maybe it might be appropiate to quote St. Paul in this instance: "...test everything; hold fast what is good" (1. Thess. 5:21

Press the 'Click to expand'-button and you can read the text in its entirety!

What is Rockwood, please? I have been looking for translation to the spanish and have not found it!!!

What is Rockwood, please? I have been looking for translation to the spanish and have not found it!!!
I think you were reading ‘rockwool’?
Description
Mineral wool is any fibrous material formed by spinning or drawing molten mineral or rock materials such as slag and ceramics. Applications of mineral wool include thermal insulation, filtration, soundproofing, and hydroponic growth medium. Wikipedia
It’s often used for plants in hydroponic plant growing

I think you were reading ‘rockwool’?
Description
Mineral wool is any fibrous material formed by spinning or drawing molten mineral or rock materials such as slag and ceramics. Applications of mineral wool include thermal insulation, filtration, soundproofing, and hydroponic growth medium. Wikipedia
It’s often used for plants in hydroponic plant growing
Thank you very much for explain me Cny Charles. Now is easier for me to understand.

Hello! I top dress with mostly tree fern fiber but will also use spagnum moss as well. I started with repotme But I do not buy from them anymore. Once your collection grows you can go broke buying there. There are other places with equal products at way lower prices 😍

Back