New from New York!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Green17

Reaction score
Hello Slipper Community! J.Green17 here from New York (not the city lol). Art Teacher by day and orchid addict by night! Currently in my paph collection I have:
'Fred's Enchantment' ( Friedrich von Hayek 'Lehua's Quiet Elegance' HCC/AOS x Magically Wood "Slipper Zone Pink Syn' AM/AOS). (Picture Below-first flower for this plant! I don't have favorites....but.... cannot wait for this plant to mature)
Rothschildianum ('Val' FCC/AOS x Mont Millais FCC/AOS/RHS). (Seedling- probably 3-5 years from blooming... oy)
Sanderianum x sib ('Dr. John' AM/AQ/AOS x 'Sam Tsui' AM/AQ/AOS). (Coming soon! Excited to try my luck with this one!)
And a Liemianum ('October' x 'Mo') (in spike)

Its a small yet growing collection- trying to keep my collection small until I find a larger living space... 🤪

In the future would love to find either a nice complex or white paph... Also have no experience with phrags.

All my orchids are grown in orchid bark (paph imperial mix from repot me) Thinking about topping my medium with sphagnum- can anyone attest to the success... or lack there of haha (kinda worried about contact with leaves)

Would also LOVE recommendations for indoor grow light options!

Can't wait to meet everyone and share our love for these beautiful plants

Attachments

• IMG-4310.jpg
    IMG-4310.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 12
Welcome from a non-NYC New Yorker. Had a good run of great lighting from T5 LED light fixtures this past year, my first green room experience. Flowering and growth has been great. Love the low power usage and low heat, with variable heights working well. Shifting into Semi-Hydroponics, taking it slow to see how the green children respond. Good to have you here.

Welcome from NYC. Moist moss on top helps roots grow, just like in nature.
Hi NYEric! Thanks for the warm welcoming, do you use sphagnum moss or another variety? I have been sifting through a lot of forum discussions (regarding fertilizer.... might regret saying that.. hopefully the fairies don't attack) and it appears many people, whom are much more educated than I, have been experimenting using moss varieties to create a more desirable environment and possibly providing nutrients for their chids, from what I could discern it seemed like they were avoiding sphagnum on top of the medium and using other varieties (that I had no luck finding).

Welcome from a non-NYC New Yorker. Had a good run of great lighting from T5 LED light fixtures this past year, my first green room experience. Flowering and growth has been great. Love the low power usage and low heat, with variable heights working well. Shifting into Semi-Hydroponics, taking it slow to see how the green children respond. Good to have you here.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely have to try this out!

Hi NYEric! Thanks for the warm welcoming, do you use sphagnum moss or another variety? I have been sifting through a lot of forum discussions (regarding fertilizer.... might regret saying that.. hopefully the fairies don't attack) and it appears many people, whom are much more educated than I, have been experimenting using moss varieties to create a more desirable environment and possibly providing nutrients for their chids, from what I could discern it seemed like they were avoiding sphagnum on top of the medium and using other varieties (that I had no luck finding).
I tried a variety from different sources, clean NZ sphagnum is always good but I like growing other types with it. I will try to get some photos later.

Welcome from northern VA! My brother lives in Queens with his wife and kids.

I second the advice of top dressing with sphagnum moss. My paphs have had their moss for all of two weeks and I’ve already noticed new root growth coming in from the base. I’ve never seen such a fast response from my paphs before.

Welcome from northern VA! My brother lives in Queens with his wife and kids.

I second the advice of top dressing with sphagnum moss. My paphs have had their moss for all of two weeks and I’ve already noticed new root growth coming in from the base. I’ve never seen such a fast response from my paphs before.

Thanks for "second-ing"! I will definitely have to give this a go and will let everyone know how it goes! Also preparing for the winter months, I'm planning a (not so fancy/complicated) orchidarium, I'll be posting updates and pics in the months to come. :)

Welcome from smoky California. And yes, good luck keeping your collection small!

I have live sphagnum topping some of my pots. In my conditions it spreads quickly, and roots will follow. I learned the hard way it has to be kept trimmed back to avoid a tangled mess of roots!

Looks so beautiful! Definitely goals! Your medium is non-organic? Also what do you keep your humidity levels at to help encourage strong moss growth?

Latest posts

Back