New experience on Phragmi.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPaph

Reaction score
Friends
I´ve never grown a Phragmipedium. I´ll have my first experience with a Phragmipedium Prince Albert and I need to be advised about the medium potting, please.
Always grateful

Pretty much any standard chunky orchid potting mix will work. They'll grow in bark based media, inorganic media, moss, and so on. They are poor candidates for being mounted. I grow most of mine in bark based mix and in rockwool based mix, using added extra course perlite and leca as well as any other random stuff I happen to have around. It's usually better to select media that resists breaking down in moist conditions because moist conditions at the roots is what Phragmipediums want.

I grow a lot of Phrags. and I use medium Orchiata, charcoal and perlite in different sizes
in clay pots with slits in the sides and excellent bottom drainage. Generally, they prefer
moist conditions, excellent air movement through the pot and coolish conditions. If you
can't provide high humidity (70-80%) and air movement, the growing will be tough.

As abax stated, the have been raising all my Prhrags in Orchiata(Med) bark, charcoal and perlite for over 20 years. They are kept moist 24/7. They have always done well. I have been experimenting with adding rockwool cubes to my mix for about a year now. The Phrags seem to love it and are really growing great!
George

Since this is a pearcei hybrid, it might just grow wonderfully in a 3/4 grodan 1/4 coarse perlite mix. I use this mix, watered every 4 days, weak fertiliser now and then.

I am on the other end of the care spectrum.I grow mine in pots in trays ,and water them twice a week(actually when the water is almost gone in one tray). They are in a south facing window,in bark,charcoal and sphagnum. That is the end of my care of my bessae hybrids,and the roots are almost bursting out of their pots,and are starting to show multiple sheaths.

I am on the other end of the care spectrum.I grow mine in pots in trays ,and water them twice a week(actually when the water is almost gone in one tray). They are in a south facing window,in bark,charcoal and sphagnum. That is the end of my care of my bessae hybrids,and the roots are almost bursting out of their pots,and are starting to show multiple sheaths.
Do you keep them in water even in winter? What temperatures do you have during winter?

for some unknown reason,my phrags are never dormant,growing in all seasons. Below my window is a heat duct, and a insulating blind is pulled down at night. So, night temp might be 67F,day 74 F during winter,and as high as 78F day ,and 74 F night during Summer.The water is in the tray always,but,varying in depth from 3/4 inch to 1/4 inch.One is a creeper,Wanakee Sunset,and one QF Maria is a centralist. Both respond to this method well. Phraq qf maria jan24 2022].jpgI have Laelia, Catts, and Guiranthe in the same window ,all being watered at the same time as the Phrags, and are growing well.

Had the plants not arrived mutilated in transit from Equagenera, they would be showcase catagory,as they are very vigorous.

for some unknown reason,my phrags are never dormant,growing in all seasons. Below my window is a heat duct, and a insulating blind is pulled down at night. So, night temp might be 67F,day 74 F during winter,and as high as 78F day ,and 74 F night during Summer.The water is in the tray always,but,varying in depth from 3/4 inch to 1/4 inch.One is a creeper,Wanakee Sunset,and one QF Maria is a centralist. Both respond to this method well. View attachment 31930I have Laelia, Catts, and Guiranthe in the same window ,all being watered at the same time as the Phrags, and are growing well.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Nice looking phrag.

Hereit is,in situ,on the window sill. As you can see,at 10 am, plenty of light,even in the depth of winter,at 44 latitude( Niagara Falls area). Because of the transparency of the leaves,you can see the new sheaths forming .

for some unknown reason,my phrags are never dormant,growing in all seasons. Below my window is a heat duct, and a insulating blind is pulled down at night. So, night temp might be 67F,day 74 F during winter,and as high as 78F day ,and 74 F night during Summer.The water is in the tray always,but,varying in depth from 3/4 inch to 1/4 inch.One is a creeper,Wanakee Sunset,and one QF Maria is a centralist. Both respond to this method well. View attachment 31930I have Laelia, Catts, and Guiranthe in the same window ,all being watered at the same time as the Phrags, and are growing well.
I notice the same. Not much dormancy. But, I do notice a definite shift in growth regions. I find most of my Phrags are more root focused in winter, lower light and cooler. I find more leaf/blade focus and bloomimg in the Summer, warmer/brighter.

Thank you very much dear friends. I´ve read all suggestios and are very interesting. Hope those I adopt, be the correct for my environmental conditions. I´ll keep all you abreast!!! and crossing fingers!!!

The choice of potting media is going to depend on the species/hybrid. There is no one size fits all culture for this genus. However there are a few things to keep in mind for any Phrag. Use an open and well drained medium that will allow for air to reach your roots. Water frequently if needed as opposed to a saucer of water. Besseae and longifolium based hybrids like to be moist (not wet) all the time and have now distinct growing season, and that why you see so many of these hybrids available in the trade, they dont need a rest period and are not partially xerophytic as some other species are (making them susceptible to rot). Good luck!

I keep water in the saucers of my Phrags that are Kovachii and Besseae primary hybrids. They are happiest that way! Mine are also windowsill, but no heat vents. An OLD Victorian Farmhouse. Very cool in winter-floor underneath is not insulated. Temps in 60’s. Summer temps can be a challenge! I will be using cool mist and fans to fight temps that rise to 80° and up. They get excellent ventilation with fans and open windows and fans in summer

this being winter in Canada,the relative humidity is low,and the roots of my bessae hybrids actually grow into the water. Related to this, the consumption is almost triple what it is in the summer,so,I am daily filling the outer tray to the max ,that my weeds like.

Ha ha…MN here! We have a Similar climate so YES! I am watering every other day right now! Flush once weekly and scrub clean the saucers! I have a fan which sucks out humidity from the attic and works as an exhaust fan for my stove. It actually will suck humidity out of the air if running constantly. I turned it off for the winter…What humidity?? Come Spring/Summer/Fall it runs on low and high when using the stove! I do have to use cool mist to cool my Phrags this summer so hoping the fan doesn’t sabotage my efforts

I wonder if a primary Caudatum with dessandroi cross has been attempted.I ask because a red tentacled monster would be something to see,and would it prefer wet feet,or dry feet and warm?I did have a caudatum many years ago,with petals a meter long...it was something to see.

Latest posts

Back