NEW cross? Paph Paul Parks x wilhelminae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a 2014 registration for Paph QF Paul Parks Junior, but that is recorded in the RHS register as Paul Parks x gardineri.

Gardineri and wilhelminiae are the same thing.

It is hard to judge the colour on this due to the flash. Can you take a photo in natural light?

Personally it doesn't look like any MK I have seen.

ponmSfKbj

Gardineri and wilhelminiae are the same thing.

It probably is true that they have often been sold as the same thing but most sources would disagree, including RHS for hybrid registration purposes. Gardineri is usually considered a synonym of glanduliferum or praestans depending on which one the source considers valid, while wilhelminae is a separate species.

I'm most familiar with Braem's opinion on this complex. Paph glanduliferum was validly published, but if the description was accurate that species may never have been seen again. Paph praestans and Paph wilhelminae are the valid known species in the group. Plants identified as glanduliferum are generally praestans. The original publication of Paph gardineri was not specific in ways that would distinguish it from the others, and later descriptions can't be traced to the same source material. He considers it a synonym of praestans.

I cannot see any adductum as a grandparent and clearly wilhelminae, gardiner, praestans or whatever in that complex is a parent of this hybrid. As I suggested send a picture to Thanh and get his input

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Actually, I bought it from Springwater orchids, and over the years have bought many plants from him. He insists that's what it is.... Also a judging update:
I took it in on Saturday and the judges were really impressed with it, consulted their little judg-y database, and agreed that the name on the label is correct but that it has not been seen by the AOS before.. some of them wanted to award it, but the general consensus was that because flowers were somewhat past their Prime, and it is a first bloom, the next one should be much more impressive. They felt that if they awarded it this time, it would make it more difficult for it to achieve an even higher award on its next bloom. They preferred to wait and see the second bloom

Latest posts

Back