New Collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hchan

As some of you already know from this thread (http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20545) I've just relocated from Sydney to LA and left my orchids behind... So I'm starting a new collection. I won't be here long term (1-2 years) so I don't want to spend too many plants and it doesn't make sense to have seedlings, so I'm basically after BS or in-spike/bud/bloom plants.

So I landed here on Friday and decided to head out to Santa Barbara on Saturday (might as well just do it right?!). I was still a bit jet-lagged so didn't do the whole orchid trail, just visited the two SB nurseries and didn't do the Carpinteria ones this time. I went to SB intending to buy two orchids: a Neo and a Cym. Golden Elf 'Sundust', of course my lack of self-control did me in as you will see :D

Lauris at Cal Orchid was very nice and friendly and we had a good chat about my move etc. Their website really doesn't do them justice, they have a whole heap of stuff but you wouldn't necessarily know it just from looking at their website. For example they had a reasonable collection of Paphs, some of which were in bud, hmm... that wasn't the type of temptation I had planned for LOL! Anyway the ones I picked up from there were Angraecum didieri (in-bloom), Neofinetia falcata (in-bloom), Paph Hsinying Carlos (in-bud) and Cym Golden Elf 'Sundust' 4N (BS). The Hsinying Carlos is in bud and appears to be a vini-color. I was hoping/expecting the Golden Elf would be in spike by now, but it isn't yet, but I got it anyway! It's specimen size in a miniature kind of way so I'm hoping it blooms.

Across the road at SB Orchid Estate, Wayne was also very helpful and friendly. By now I already had everything I planned to buy and more but wasn't about to head home without having a look! Here they had a lot of Cyms on display and I ended up getting another Cym Golden Elf 'Sundust' (normal ploidy) and a Cym Chen's Ruby 'Gold Tiger'. It was probably silly getting another Golden Elf 'Sundust' but I was curious to see how much difference there would be between 4N and non-4N.

Last but not least as I was picking up a spraying/misting can from Home Depot, I picked up a NOID Phal equestris hybrid. Two spikes for only $5.95, I couldn't say no. I was hoping there might be a stray tag left in the pot but no such luck :).

I think you are going to be the West Coast evil crazy twin of NYEric:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Have you started leaving plants on your stove yet:poke::poke:

Wow! Landed on Friday and orchid shopping on Saturday! You're definitely an orchid junkie and you were in NEED of a fix! 'Hope they all do well for you! Enjoy!

Excellent - no wasted time here. Quick scoping out of local orchid nurseries,after all, us orchid addicts have our priorities:)

Happy orchid growing,and hope you get settled in your new place quickly!!

:clap::clap: I'm with Diane - no time wasted! That could be dangerous living so close to places like that! Good luck! - Good start!

Great start on the first day after you landed! Good luck on your job and new transition to L.A. :)

I have a Hsinyin Carlos and boy, it is DARK!! :D

Thanks everyone! Haha yes, the nurseries were surprised when I told I just landed the day before LOL.

I wasn't planning on getting so many cymbs... will have a chance to redress the balance later. There's the SB Orchid Fair coming up and also the OSSC Annual Sales Day, hopefully by then I will have my own more long term place.

So my new window at work faces south west with double-glazed tinted glass. My light meter puts it at 1600 footcandles, so maybe just a little bright for the Phal (probably OK, just need to keep an eye on it) but should be good for the Cym hybrid seeing as it is a miniature and should be good for mottled-leaf Paphs too. I'm worried though that my little light meter might have got knocked around a bit in my luggage and is no longer accurate, I'll have to check the calibration with another light meter at some stage.

I didn't end up buying anything from the OSSC Annual Auction, but just bought a few things from the Santa Barbara Orchid Fair on the weekend. I'll try and post the list tonight. I went on Saturday, which was the same day that Prince William and Kate went to a Santa Barbara polo match. They created a bit of traffic!

Paph Judge Philip
Paph (farrieanum x Maudiae)
Paph ((Hsinying Onyx x Luna Moth) 'Giant' x farrieanum fma album 'Lime White')
Paph (Hsinying Limemoth x Alma Gavaert)
Zygopetalum Advanced Australia Fair 'HOF'

Wow! Landed on Friday and orchid shopping on Saturday! You're definitely an orchid junkie and you were in NEED of a fix! 'Hope they all do well for you! Enjoy!

Gee, I thought a geographically cure for orchid obsession would stop in LA.....Time to get so help from Orchid Anonymous Club!

hehehe!

:poke:

Paphman910

Of the ones I bought when I first arrived in LA, two are now blooming. Cym Golden Elf 'Sundust' (normal ploidy) has just put out a spike. The Neofinetia falcata has just put out a new spike too, after the three spikes that were blooming when I bought it finished a couple of weeks ago. These are all growing in my office, so far so good I guess :D

Latest posts

Back