• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New book from Olaf Gruss

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you or anybody else had already a look inside?
A short review would be great!

ordered
review by the publisher

Book ID: 110540
Gruss, Olaf
Paphiopedilum. Südostasiatische Frauenschuhe. Band 1. 2020. 2200 kol. Photogr. 531 S. 4to. Hardcover.
Es sind 3 Bände geplant

Die südostasiatischen Frauenschuhe sind von Indien im Westen und von China im Norden bis Neuguinea verbreitet. Das Buch behandelt die Frauenschuhe der Länder Indien, China, Myanmar, Thailand, Kambodscha bis Vietnam, Indonesien, Philippien und Salomonen. Der erste Band umfasst die Arten der Sektionen Brachypetalum, Parvisepalum, die Multiflorals und die Revolverblüher. Im zweiten Band werden die restlichen Arten behandelt. Im dritten Band werden unter dem Titel 'Hybriden' alle Naturhybriden behandelt und ein Überblick über die künstichen Hybriden, von den Primärhybriden bis zu den Komplexhybriden geboten.

A total of 3 volumes is scheduled.

Southeastasian Paphiopedilums are spread from India in the West and China in the North till New Guinea. This book covers India, China, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia to Vietnam, Indonesia, the Philippines and the Solomon Islands. The text is in German.

translation by Google, not perfect , but...

The Southeast Asian women's shoes are common from India in the west and from China in the north to New Guinea. The book covers the women's shoes from India, China, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia to Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines and the Solomon Islands. The first volume covers the species of the sections Brachypetalum, Parvisepalum, Multiflorals and Revolverblüher. The remaining species are dealt with in the second volume. In the third volume, under the title 'Hybrids', all natural hybrids are dealt with and an overview of the artificial hybrids, from primary hybrids to complex hybrids, is offered.

Did you or anybody else had already a look inside?
A short review would be great!

Yes ,
for a review please next week. I have to read through and compare with other books:
  • Tropical Slipper Orchids , paphiopedilum and phragmipedium Species and Hybrids, Harold Koopowitz
  • Slipper Orchids of Vietnam , Leonid Averyanov, Phillip Cribb , Phan Ke Loc , Nguyen Tien Hiep
  • The genus paphiopedilum in China , Liu Zhongjian , Chen Singchi , Chen Lijun , Lei Sipeng
  • Paphiopedilum , A monograph of all tropical and subtropical Asiatic slipper-orchids , Dr. Guido J. Braem
  • Genus Paphiopedilum Albino Forms , Olaf Gruß
  • Orchids of Huanglong , Holger Perner , Yibo Lương
  • A Field guide to the orchids of China , Chen Singhi , Liu Zhonjian , Luo Yibo , Jin Xiaohua , Tsi Zhanhuo
  • Orchids of Margaret river , and Australia´s Southwest Capes , Jane Scott
  • The wild Orchids in Yunnan , Zhihui Xu , Hong Jiang , Deping Ye , Ende Liu

Olaf1.JPGOlaf2.JPG

Attachments

• Yunnan.JPG
    Yunnan.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Yunnan2.JPG
    Yunnan2.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 14
  • BOOK1.JPG
    BOOK1.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 16
  • BOOK2.JPG
    BOOK2.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 17
  • BOOK3.JPG
    BOOK3.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Tai, your are right, the costs are 120 €, only for subscibers of the magazin 'Orchideen Zauber' the price is reduced to 100 €

Kostet 120 Euro einschl. Versand. Oder aber du bestellst direkt beim Verlag für 100 Euro, wenn du gleichzeitig ein Abonnement der Zeitschrift Orchideenzauber buchst für insgesamt 126 Euro.

Jens, so far I'm no subscriber of the magazin. So I can't say anything about it. Did you look for shipping costs when you possibly subcribe?

Review , 16/12/2020

The description is missing: paphiopedilum canhii and paphiopedilum papilio-laoticus
Weight and pages : 3,7 kg vs 3,1 kg ( The wild Orchids in Yunnan ) ; 531 pages vs 500 pages ( The wild Orchids in Yunnan )
With 2200 photos, more than other books
the subject : synonyma, type, distribution, location, climate at the location, history, etymology, description, basionym, possibility of confusion, variation, culture, heyday, primary hybrids

The book is written in great detail and easy to understand. The writing style is elegant . Lots of information, it's like a summary of 3 books: Slipper Orchids of Vietnam; The genus paphiopedilum in China; Paphiopedilum , a monograph of all tropical and subtropical Asiatic slipper-orchids . The primary hybrids is described and researched in great detail. The pictures are beautiful, rich in information. The history and etymology of each paphiopedilum fascinates me . Per page costs 0.22 cent what else do you want. I can very warmly recommend the book.

Tai Do Khac , M.D.

Last edited:
so wish these books were also published electronically to enable digital translation....

i suppose the goofs that would share the electronic versions with their freeloading friends spoil it for the rest of us....

finished typing that and had the hunch that google translate may work on images... they advertise it does, have to try it out... :)

Thanks a lot to all of you, it's a great help! German is not the problem, the price is, even if it is not expensive compared to other publications. But with your comments I'm highly tempted...

Review , 16/12/2020

The description is missing: paphiopedilum canhii and paphiopedilum papilio-laoticus
Weight and pages : 3,7 kg vs 3,1 kg ( The wild Orchids in Yunnan ) ; 531 pages vs 500 pages ( The wild Orchids in Yunnan )
With 2200 photos, more than other books
the subject : synonyma, type, distribution, location, climate at the location, history, etymology, description, basionym, possibility of confusion, variation, culture, heyday, primary hybrids

The book is written in great detail and easy to understand. The writing style is elegant . Lots of information, it's like a summary of 3 books: Slipper Orchids of Vietnam; The genus paphiopedilum in China; Paphiopedilum , a monograph of all tropical and subtropical Asiatic slipper-orchids . The primary hybrids is described and researched in great detail. The pictures are beautiful, rich in information. The history and etymology of each paphiopedilum fascinates me . Per page costs 0.22 cent what else do you want. I can very warmly recommend the book.

Tai Do Khac , M.D.
But, did I read correctly the text of the book is in German?

Latest posts

Back