New at growing slippers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, it does not look like the'Maudiae' in the previous pic has flowered on that fan already (I am not implying anything, just a simple observation from what can be seen on a small iPad screen). The fan looks healthy, no discoloration at the leaf tips or base, coupled with new growth, I would say that it is fine, and ignore the dilemma of it having flowered on that fan previously or not. Very often newly purchased plants sulk and don't grow for at least one season (often much longer if they move across the equator and have to rephrase to new seasons). It is obviously moving into a new growth phase. As has already been pointed out, just make sure that you don't leave water standing in the leaf axils after watering, I am sure it will re flower this coming autumn, and will break a new growth as this fan fully matures this season.

Cheryl,
What you are discribing has happened in my plants as well. The "normal" process is for a slipper to grow, bloom and branch (off a new growth). This new growth of couse comes from the base of the plant but if it were to die for whatever reason the plant will start again. Most of the time the plant will start a another new "eye" from near the base again but that's not always the case! At each leaf axle are dorman "eyes" that can be stimulated to grow. Even near the very top of the plant where the flower comes from there are eyes. It appears as if the plant is starting over, to re-grow after blooming but in reality its a new plant growing from the crown of the old plant.

Latest posts

Back