New arrivals

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeBoxer

Reaction score
Today I received 2 boxes in the mail, the first one contained a compot from Chuck Acker, Phrag Olaf Gruss flavum, and the second box was (get ready Eric!!) 2 Phrag besseae, one red and one peach colored.

Now I have one question, I have read through most of the posts and can't get a real clear answer on what everyone pots their besseae in. Some say S/H, which I would like to try, some say rock, some bark mix and some moss. So....??? The thing is that when they came, the pots weren't really secured and most of the potting mix had fallen out. I am thinking either s/h or maybe some live moss. Do they like acidic substrates or do people put lime or oyster shells on them? (I know, this should be in the culture forum...sorry) I'm leaning more towards the live moss.

-Josh

Congrats! Nice choices - I got 2 Olafs when I was up there last week.
Bessies - I grow mine in bark, although I would think they'd do fine in moss seeing they're swamp/bog orchids. S/H I'd be a bit hesitant on, I would think it would be to dry. What did Eric have them in?

Yay besseae/hybrids! That said, I don't know about live moss, I've only seen photos of in situ growing and although there is moss [and organic humus] where the plants are anchored I believe they grow on rocky soil. Since they're so hydrophilic live moss might get too wet and rot. I grow mine in a mix w/ aliflor/leca like S/H but also w/ coconut husk chips, charcoal, diatomite, sponge rock, and if it looks like it need to hold more moisture, sphagnum moss. There are threads here about adding oyster shell for Paphs but I haven't gotten that far yet. As I am a chronic overwaterer, I grow organically in tray of circulating water so I am constantly working w/ fertilizers [MSU, Protekt silicon additive, and Superthrive in R.O. water]. My recommendation would be to at least get clear pots so you can watch the roots and also to get some tall pots as besseae like to grow up out of the pots.

Plant them in a media that you can water frequently. The normal s/h "method" would probably be too dry. They will grow great in leca if you water them allot, like everyday. Lots of water to keep the wet media fresh.
Grow them in rock and it is the same difference except the wicking of leca allows for more forgiveness if you forget to water. Live moss takes more care with watering. In nature besseae grow in rock and clay, not moss.

I'm thinking of a mix now that would consist of chopped moss, perlite, charcoal and some Prime Agra, probably the fine and maybe planting the plants in shallow pots, maybe not...? How does that sound?

For what its worth.

I only have one phrag (not a besseae thought) . What I have it in is an aircone with pure leca which is sitting in a tray of water. In the tray off water I have chopped sphag and bark floating around. This way I can leave the pot alone and change the decaying media only if i need to. So far its doing ok.

I'm thinking of a mix now that would consist of chopped moss, perlite, charcoal and some Prime Agra, probably the fine and maybe planting the plants in shallow pots, maybe not...? How does that sound?
Sounded good until I got to the shallow pots.Look back at NYEric post -
"My recommendation would be to at least get clear pots so you can watch the roots and also to get some tall pots"

Chopped moss will decompose quickly so what is the point of including it in your mix?
Shallow pots are very hard to maintain without constant attention (bonsai?). For besseae a shallow pot would be the wrong choice as they tend to climb rather than spread.

Lance, The moss would be for more water retention, I would use long fiber, but cut it up (chopped...:)) The reason for the shallow bonsai pot is this. I was thinking that because they climb, I could pot it to one end of the pot and then as the new growths come out, mound up more mix underneath so that it would look like it was growing on a slope, then top the mix with some sort of mounding moss, there are a lot on nice types around my house. It is just an idea that I am tossing around, but it looked good when I pictured it in my head.

Lance, The moss would be for more water retention, I would use long fiber, but cut it up (chopped...:)) The reason for the shallow bonsai pot is this. I was thinking that because they climb, I could pot it to one end of the pot and then as the new growths come out, mound up more mix underneath so that it would look like it was growing on a slope, then top the mix with some sort of mounding moss, there are a lot on nice types around my house. It is just an idea that I am tossing around, but it looked good when I pictured it in my head.

That sounds like a fun thing to try. It might work well. Unless the plant decides to grow it's new growth on the wrong side. :poke:

Yeah, that crossed my mind when I said to one side...I think I might try it. We'll see what happens

Latest posts

Back