New Additions on trip to Chicago

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I just fininshed my first day of shopping on the OSM trip to the Chicagoland orchid festival. The notable pick ups came from a bonus stop at Orchids by the Ackers. I got a compot of Phrag. Olaf Gruss (pearceii x besseae flavum), a nice looking spicerianum (in bud), Paph (Acker's Pinnacle x Blanche Sawyer 'Snowman') (in bud), and two Paph armeniacums from different crosses (both in bud)!

Tomorrow, we head to Natt's and Oak Hill with guest growers like Tom Larkin of Whipporwill and Parside Nursery.

Great picks! That's a trip I'd like to make, too, one of these days :) I actually just picked up an Olaf Gruss compot myself. The plants in it are huge, considering the size that the mature plants will be.

- Matt

gore42 said:
Great picks! That's a trip I'd like to make, too, one of these days :) I actually just picked up an Olaf Gruss compot myself. The plants in it are huge, considering the size that the mature plants will be.

- Matt
Yes! I was really impressed with the size. People on our bus who saw the compot were already asking for individual plants.

Greenpaph said:
Sounds great, Ross!

Does Chuck have a very big nursery?

thanks

Ackers is a fairly big operation that is owned by Chuck's sister and brother-in-law, I think. Chuck works there and has his separate flask business. Like many greenhouses, they are into other plants as well as orchids.

paphreek said:
Ackers is a fairly big operation that is owned by Chuck's sister and brother-in-law, I think. Chuck works there and has his separate flask business. Like many greenhouses, they are into other plants as well as orchids.

I always wondered what the connection was between the two.

Nice haul, Ross - now get out there and continue the shopping!
action-smiley-039.gif

Here's a few highlights from today's shopping.

Natt's Orchids:
2 more Paph armeniacum (in bud)
2 Paph henryanum (in bud)
1 Paph charlesworthii (in bud)
1 Paph micranthum
1 Paph Papa Rohl

Oak Hill
5 Paph Mem Larry Heuer
Assorted complex Paphs

Tomorrow, on to Hauserman's with Fox Valley and Orchid Inn.

Parkside Nursery
1 humongous specimen Paph (Brandon Alexander x henryanum)(at least 15 growths, 3 in bud)

Whippoorwill Orchids
Division of Paph Huddle 'Joan' AM/AOS
Division of Paph Jack Tonkin 'Val's Choice' AM?/AOS

Tomorrow, on to Hausermans with Fox Valley and Orchid Inn!

Wow! Thats some serious shopping!

I'd be lying if I said I wan't a little jealous.

Kyle

TADD said:
I have yet to visit them up there. Way too cold!
Not yet. This latitude has (generally) pleasant Springs, Summers and early Fall. If only Winter wouldn't last 5 months, we'd have it made!

I forgot to mention, I also had the honor of meeting Leo Schordje at Oak Hill. We had a nice talk. He's a very interesting gentleman. I also spent some time talking to Tom Larkin. It was a very enjoyable day, in spite of the rain.:)

Here's a couple of highlights from Sunday:

Orchid Inn:
Flask of Paph (S Gratrix 'Super Bowl' x niveum album)

Hausermans:
Division of Paph Mildred Hunter 'Ileana' AM/AOS
Paph (Ruby Mist x henryanum) in bloom. Julie picked this one out. She has a good eye for flowers.
Paph (Clairkuli x venustum album) in bud.

I also got a NOID mini Paph from Windsong that is almost in bloom. They had done some flasking work for a guy who just disappeared and left them with the replates and no name. The only clue that will help with the ID is that this person had only done primary crosses in the past. I'll post pics when the flower is open and we can have some fun guessing.:)

Latest posts

Back