Nepenthes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great photos, Paul! Very tempted to try a few of these. Would they eat ground up hamburger?

Well, a small amount would probably be accepted without problems. Seriously, I'm real erratic with hand feeding. They do get foliar feed of Maxsea 16-16-16 a couple times a month. Also, a pellet or two of Osmocote dropped in the pitchers seems to give the plants a boost.

Cheers,
Paul

Well, a small amount would probably be accepted without problems. Seriously, I'm real erratic with hand feeding. They do get foliar feed of Maxsea 16-16-16 a couple times a month. Also, a pellet or two of Osmocote dropped in the pitchers seems to give the plants a boost.

Cheers,
Paul
Good info. Thanks, Paul.

That is a stunning pitcher!!

I have one also. Not sure the species involve but it is growing very well. I need to repot and stake it. The plant has gone tall enough that it falls over when it is not hanging.

I have one also. Not sure the species involve but it is growing very well. I need to repot and stake it. The plant has gone tall enough that it falls over when it is not hanging.

You probably know this, but you can cut the vine and root it, if you want a more compact plant. Alternately, if you let the vine droop below the pot, a basal growth will often start.

You probably know this, but you can cut the vine and root it, if you want a more compact plant. Alternately, if you let the vine droop below the pot, a basal growth will often start.

Thanks! I have heard that I can cut and root the top, but I fear I will some how kill it. It is doing so well. The vine has started drooping and basal growths are growing nicely. Maybe I will try to root the top. It would be nice to have a division. Any tips on the cut and root process?

Just cut the top including two or three nodes and dip in root hormone powder, before potting in LFS. After it is well rooted, pot in your regular mix. Sometimes I get lazy and just put the cutting in water and wait for roots...

Nice!
looks like to me if you stuck your finger (Or hand) inside of the pitcher, you couldn’t get it out!

That could be true. If those barbs somehow got stuck in the sides of the fingers on the way of pulling the finger (or hand) back out ------ that would be nasty. One way street or one way ticket situation maybe.

I once grew Nepenthes - in a big fish-tank to keep the humidity up. The issue was they outgrow the tank - and I wasn't going to buy a green-house/hothouse. But I do love carnivorous plants as much as I love orchids (just like the rest of you out there).

The teeth around the peristome can be sharp, and the species in this thread have some of the largest. Also, they are quite sturday, and if you made the effort, they could penetrate your skin. The three famous species from Borneo with very toothy peristomes are N. macrophylla, N. villosa and below, N. edswardsiana.

Cheers and good growing,
Paul

Paul, are any of your Nepenthes in bloom? I have tons of pollen available such as Lowii trusmadi, Spath x Eddie, and platychila!

When I acquired my nepenthes, I was told to never fertilize it. The closest I come to that is occasional treatments with KelpMax and Quantum. It had one, very long vine the first year, sprouted three last year, allowing me to cut the long one to make it more manageable, and now it has 6.

Yeah they’re pretty unimpressive blooms. Stress can cause them to flower and then die. I knew some orchid growers had neps but some of the ones on this thread are more stunning than most “pro nep growers”

Latest posts

Back