Nepenthes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've grown carnivorous plants and orchids for many years. The slipper orchids are getting crowded, so I have been thinning the Nepenthes collection. I will keep my favorites, such as this Nepenthe macrophylla:

It took a long time to get it to this size.

Thanks for looking and good growing,
Paul

I was just about to repot some of my small Nepenthes recently acquired this past winter. Looks like they are in 2.5 inch pots and sphagnum. But I have no clue when and what I should use.

Do you follow the same procedure as orchids as far as selecting a tight pot sizes or can they be put into a much larger pot that they can grow into since they stay wet all the time? Also what medium do you use or recommend? I think I was going to try rock wool so I don't have to use moss anymore.. would you recommend any other inorganic media?! I’m trying to move away from bark and moss for as many plant as possible in the collection.
Thanks!

I've grown carnivorous plants and orchids for many years. The slipper orchids are getting crowded, so I have been thinning the Nepenthes collection. I will keep my favorites, such as this Nepenthe macrophylla:

Paul
Very impressive!

I don't think larger pots are a problem, but I wouldn't overdo it. I do have some pretty large plants in pots that look quite small, compared to the plant.
Haven't used totally inorganic potting media, but don't think it would be a problem...nepenthes don't seem fussy...been considering trying a mix including Grodan Mini-Cubes
Good luck,
Paul

Paul
Beautiful species. Unfortunately, I think it would starve in our greenhouse.

Paul
Are you comfortable shipping your Nepenthes? I may be interested in anything you are looking to re-home.

I don't think larger pots are a problem, but I wouldn't overdo it. I do have some pretty large plants in pots that look quite small, compared to the plant.
Haven't used totally inorganic potting media, but don't think it would be a problem...nepenthes don't seem fussy...been considering trying a mix including Grodan Mini-Cubes
Good luck,
Paul

Thanks for the input. Yes I have a bag of growdan that I wanted to use with perlite.

I have a single Nepenthes X ventrata that I have in a plastic basket of straight sphagnum. Grows like a weed in the heat and humidity (and insect supply) out on my deck. It suffers, indoors in the winter.

That’s a sweet one. I have a friend here in HNL, Dale M., who grows a lot of Nepenthes.
I’ve tried a handful, but have not had much success, aka ☠.

Are you comfortable shipping your Nepenthes? I may be interested in anything you are looking to re-home.
Sorry, I don't try to mail plants. I can unload extra plants at the local CP meetings.

Beautiful species. Unfortunately, I think it would starve in our greenhouse.
I drop slugs, pill bugs and other critters I find in the garden into pitchers. Lots of salamanders find their way into the greenhouse, and unfortunately a few have been caught.

Last edited:
That’s a sweet one. I have a friend here in HNL, Dale M., who grows a lot of Nepenthes.
I’ve tried a handful, but have not had much success, aka ☠.

A friend on the Big Island had a large Nepenthes nursery, which I loved to visit. Sadly, two years ago, Fissure #8 claimed his home and all his plants.

yawsa!!! that's amazing....

There's a grower of these in Tom Perlites' greenhouse outside San Fran. Amazing collection... Can't remember his name. Bruce Rogers was waxing rhapsodic about them on my first visit. i was just, and am with yours, in awe. Very cool plants.

Latest posts

Back