Nepenthes Help Needed

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
So, I have a Nepenthes sanguinea that I've managed to barely keep alive this winter in the house. The old, very long growth is no longer putting out pitchers and looks pretty wretched. There are two baby growths with pitchers underneath it in the basket. Can I cut the old growth off or will it die off on its own? This was my husband's bright idea - and of course I'm the one trying not to kill it. I was doubtful when I bought it because of our lack of humidity.

The smaller growths look great, just wee.

Post a picture of the plant, there are a few Nepenthes growers here. Once a Nepenthes vine gets too long growers will sometimes cut it if it has basals (the baby growths) and root the cuttings. Nepenthes cuttings aren't the easiest things to root with low humidity but it can be done. I personally haven't made a Nepenthes cutting yet so I can't help with the rooting part, sorry :/
Many pages do describe how to make cuttings and root them (just don't trust non plant sites)

As mentioned above, you can take Nep cuttings from the main vine once it has gone too long and leggy. The climbing species like sanguinea are more easily rooted. Neps can root in water too, or simply pure sphagnum moss. Cut off the leaf bases and bury at least 2 nodes with 1 node above the media or water. Even totally leafless sections can root. I have successfully rooted rafflesiana, ampullaria, x dyeriana, Miranda, Ventrata by just floating the cuttings on a piece of styrofoam in my waterlily pond.

I 100% agree with paphioboy.

A solution for the lack of the humidity are ziplock bags or a fish tank (whichever is more accessible).

Place the cuttings in an area where it gets bright light, no direct sun and wait patiently.

Haha, okay. I love how optimistic you guys are. I think nepenthes are cool plants but I don't really want MORE of them. :) Probably not going to try to root cuttings since we aren't doing very well with the one.
So, I can just cut the leggy growth and let the little ones grow then, I'm assuming?

Just give it a shot, Heather! Since you gonna cut the growth off, give it a shot. No harm in trying.

Yes, you may cut the leggy growth if you want to and let the new growths grow.

Latest posts

Back