Nepenthes from Wistuba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of times the old pitchers will dry in the new conditions, something that helps is bagging the plants and slowly opening and then taking them out of the bag over the course of a few weeks
a few plants get bruised leaves inside their own individual flat shipping plastic envelopes, those leaves do not recover.
Thanks for the idea , I rebag all of them in ziplock bags . they stop wilting .
What worries me is some of them have only a few good leaves left.

Last edited:
Very nice haul, Hien. I hope they will acclimate well. I'm growing N. spectabillis in normal home condition (i.e., it isn't in my grow tent), so some of those should be ok with lower RH.

You can buy Nepenthes in Chinatown?? Interesting.

Native Exotics have good stuff (for reasonable price). I've bought quite a few from Pet Fly Trap, too. They have Borneo Exotics pre-order sale occasionally, and the price is pretty decent.

Very nice haul, Hien. I hope they will acclimate well. I'm growing N. spectabillis in normal home condition (i.e., it isn't in my grow tent), so some of those should be ok with lower RH.

You can buy Nepenthes in Chinatown?? Interesting.

Native Exotics have good stuff (for reasonable price). I've bought quite a few from Pet Fly Trap, too. They have Borneo Exotics pre-order sale occasionally, and the price is pretty decent.

"You can buy Nepenthes in Chinatown?? Interesting."
Eric says that, not I.
I also doubt that Chinatown would have any nice nepenthes , maybe just a few of the non-descriptive ones?

I think most of the imported ones are in shock is because they are sending not-inpot (I am sure there is a lot of root damage when you pull any nepenthes out of the pots , from my limited observation, nepenthes have barely any roots and they look like thin black sewing threads )

The first nepenthes I bought are the red globosa vikings from Sunbelle , even those large ones suffer from out of pots, so later, I requested the second batch of vikings in-pot shipping.

I hear that other people say that Nepenthes doesn't like to be repotted, so you might be right. Compared with orchids, they seem to respond quickly to environmental changes. So even if I change the location, they seem to pause the growth, but resume within a couple weeks. But you are probably right, when I receive Nepenthes in pots, they seem to resume growth a bit earlier than bare root.

I hear that other people say that Nepenthes doesn't like to be repotted, so you might be right. Compared with orchids, they seem to respond quickly to environmental changes. So even if I change the location, they seem to pause the growth, but resume within a couple weeks. But you are probably right, when I receive Nepenthes in pots, they seem to resume growth a bit earlier than bare root.

Nepenthes have thinner roots than most if not all orchids and they aren't all that strong either, so ripping them is relatively easy.
The change in humidity, temperature, and diurnal range definitely slows them down for a period, even more so for slower growing or more finicky species. I've heard of plants taking over a year to acclimate to new conditions. Add on to that the physical damage sustained during shipping and you can see that they can take a while to adjust.

Latest posts

Back