Nepenthes from Wistuba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I received my first order from Wistuba of Germany 2 days ago. I've heard lots of things about their plants, but they are vey nice plants in my opinion. Pretty excited! 15 Nepenthes and 3 Heliamphora.

P1010031.jpg

I posted my impression and more photos of individual plants on my blog (link).

I received my first order from Wistuba of Germany 2 days ago. I've heard lots of things about their plants, but they are vey nice plants in my opinion. Pretty excited! 15 Nepenthes and 3 Heliamphora.

P1010031.jpg

Nice haul!

Those plants will be stunning when they grow up a bit. If
you have the means, try propagating some non- winged
fruit flies in a small container. That's what I fed my various
group of little, green carnivores and they grew to tremendous size in a terrarium.

Eric, yes, I keep them fairly moist (compared to orchids). I don't have lots of experience, but they are "louder" than orchids (i.e., they grow quicker, and complain quickly if they don't like things).

Angela, yes, they will look amazing when they become bigger. I hope they will do ok. I have access to wingless fruitflies, but I have a small zip lock full of mosquitoes in my freezer. I don't like to kill many insects, but I don't have sympathy to mosquitoes. And some of Alaskan mosquitoes are big (the species which come out first in spring). But for Nepenthes, I'm trying fertilizer in the pitchers.

Impressive haul! Wish you all the luck in the world (we'll get the photographs!!!), specially with the Heliamphoras!

I had pitchers in my terrarium too, but I'd be VERY careful
about putting any kind of fertilizer inside the pouch. I
never fertilized any of the plants in my terrarium with the
exception of live insects and everything grew wonderfully
well.

I use 1/4 strength balanced orchid fert for my nepenthes and they grow faster than you could imagine

4ed5563f9a40eb746eada6659280ff3a.jpg

A friend gave me this veitchii as a seedling in may with quarter inch tall pitchers with no color, they seem to be getting bigger haha

I think that the pitchers may not last as long with fertilizer in it. But the plant seems to grow well as SFLguy said. But from reading about more about Nepenthes, higher nutrient availability (in roots) could reduce the rate of pitcher initiation in some species.

SFLguy, I like the nice pink color of your N. veitchii! You mean 1/4 tsp per gallon of fertilizer (something like 20-20-20) by "1/4 strength", right? Do you root-drench the fertilizer or do you put it in the pitchers? I'm doing both. For root, I do something similar to orchids, but less frequently; 10-30ppmN fertilizer including inorganic fert. and fish emulsion, some humid acid, and kelp products like MaxiCrop at 1TBS/gallon. MaxiCrop can increase the EC quite a bit, but I think it is still under 300 microS/cm (150ppm or so of TDS). For the pitcher, I use the same, but also I use Osmocote Plus. I think I rotate one fertiligation with 2 pure water irrigation or so. There isn't a lot of information about Nepenthes root-fertilization (unlike here in ST). People in CP forum talk about the Maxsea, but the manufacturer doesn't supply the enough information, so it is a bit sketchy.

I think that the pitchers may not last as long with fertilizer in it. But the plant seems to grow well as SFLguy said. But from reading about more about Nepenthes, higher nutrient availability (in roots) could reduce the rate of pitcher initiation in some species.

SFLguy, I like the nice pink color of your N. veitchii! You mean 1/4 tsp per gallon of fertilizer (something like 20-20-20) by "1/4 strength", right? Do you root-drench the fertilizer or do you put it in the pitchers? I'm doing both. For root, I do something similar to orchids, but less frequently; 10-30ppmN fertilizer including inorganic fert. and fish emulsion, some humid acid, and kelp products like MaxiCrop at 1TBS/gallon. MaxiCrop can increase the EC quite a bit, but I think it is still under 300 microS/cm (150ppm or so of TDS). For the pitcher, I use the same, but also I use Osmocote Plus. I think I rotate one fertiligation with 2 pure water irrigation or so. There isn't a lot of information about Nepenthes root-fertilization (unlike here in ST). People in CP forum talk about the Maxsea, but the manufacturer doesn't supply the enough information, so it is a bit sketchy.

Yes, they do die quicker but I'm trying to get them to a size where it's not necessary anymore because they're large enough to really enjoy

I've been using 1/4 tsp per gallon of a 16-16-16 fertilizer (Maxsea is the current darling of the CP community from what I've seen and although I don't know much about it, I got what I have for free and it works so far so I can't complain). I'm only doing pitcher fertilizing though I have heard of people fertilizing roots too and having great results. I think if you do that then you'll have to be really drenching the media at least once a month, my water isn't good enough to be used on them regularly so i stick to distilled water which I have less of so I don't drench mine often and feel like they'd suffer if I fertilized the roots without the good drench.

I'm really happy about the veitchii, it started off really green but it's colored up nicely!

15! Instant collection.. lol. Neps are wayyy more forgiving than orchids (paphs at least). Are those mainly highlanders or lowlanders? Lowlanders like a lot of water and can grow into massive bushes of vines. Highlanders are more colourful, like better-draining medium and are more manageable in size.

I assume being in Alaska those would be all highland/intermediate. Your macrophylla looks like the same size as mine :)

I too just received an order from BC (Borneo Exotics dealer) a few days ago. The big ticket items were small, but the others were 4"+ leafspan. I find them to be a nice compliment to orchids as they require near same conditions. I'd be careful fertilizing though. I've only done diluted coffee so far, but have heard of fertilizing the pitchers. Go dilute and infrequently!

So far, I've got macrophylla, x trusmadiensis, lowii, nigra, veitchii, singalana, fusca, burbidgeae x veitchii, platychila, & over 100 'highland mix' seedlings I started from seed as a trial run. Maybe in 5+ years we can swap pollen!

PB, yes they are mainly highlanders with 3 of them intermediate. I agree they seem to be easier and faster than orchids, but I don't have enough experience. I don't know what I'm going to do when they become big. I could keep cutting them, but I would like to see more natural growth.

You have nice species, Dan. Yes, it will take for a while to get them flower from this size. But pollen exchange will be fun.

P1010031.jpg

How do they do after 10 days?
any wilted leaves ?
mine have a lot of wilted leaves by the second day after being out of the shipping box .

How do they do after 10 days?
any wilted leaves ?
mine have a lot of wilted leaves by the second day after being out of the shipping box .
A lot of times the old pitchers will dry in the new conditions, something that helps is bagging the plants and slowly opening and then taking them out of the bag over the course of a few weeks

Hien, it is still too early to tell, but I think that they are doing ok. Here is a photo. 3rd column from the right isn't Wistuba, but other Nepenthes in this photo are from this import.

It is difficult to tell from this crappy photo, but about a half of the pitchers are drying out (I think it is common as SFLguy said), but leaves are well-hydrated (turgid) and have the shine of healthy plants. Most are still in acclimation shock, so they haven't started to grow. But a few have started to expand the leaves. The only ones I worry a little are N. pitopangii (bottom row, 2nd column from left) and N. flava (2nd column from right, 3rd from the bottom). These two started to drop the lower leaves, but I think they will be ok.

The 3rd column plants (N. attenboroughii and N. jamban) are purchased in mid Sept, and they started to grow recently. So it was quiet for 2 months or so for acclimation. Lowland Nepenthes seem to start to grow quicker (they usually acclimate in 1 month or so) in my grow area.

RH is around 80-90% now, and min/max temp is around 53/67F at this moment.

Which species did you get, Hien?

Hien, it is still too early to tell, but I think that they are doing ok. Here is a photo. 3rd column from the right isn't Wistuba, but other Nepenthes in this photo are from this import.
Which species did you get, Hien?

I order 12 but they only send 10 and refund the bellii & rafflesiana

bellii (not sent)
macfarlanei
mira
muluensis
nigra
rafflesiana (not sent)
ramispina
spectabilis
surigaoensis
talangensis
tenuis
xiphoides

I just realize from what you said of 80 & 90% RH that I don't have a set up for high humidity , just normal home temperature & humidity, so they may not survive, let's hope some adapt to normal home condition, if not I will have to abandon the idea of growing nepenthes.

Latest posts

Back