Neofinetias

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too love the neos, but i have a confession. Ive almost killed 2 and dont know whats up. The one i have left is mounted. It was growing well, producing new roots and a small new growth at the base. All of a sudden the roots began dying back and problems worsened. Both of mine have ended up getting yellow spots that turn to a brown rot of some sort on the newest leaf. The die back creeps back down to the crown, and good-bye neo. Anyone experience this sort of problem, or have any insight?

John--
Where do you get your neos from? I'm shopping around and I would love recommendations.

Also, where do you buy your neo pots? I want to do that to the lone neo I have!

I can't wait to see your neos in bloom.

lothianjavert,

Just to let you know, the Orchid Digest was kind enough to publish a 10 page article that I wrote about neofinetia falcata (as you were asking about sources in English). There haven't been many articles written on neofinetia, which is why I was so excited to do so. I'm currently working on a book about Japanese orchids, and (yes John :)) my website... which is lingering along but will be well worth the wait!

I also sell some of the decorative pots (which are an amazing story in themselves). Here's a link to that site:

http://www.orchidweb.com/nishikibachi/index.html

I have to update it again, as many pots have sold and there are a few typos.

Enjoy!

Jason

P.S. We do sell a wide variety. When you click on 'Our catalog', go to the very bottom of the drop tab and you will find a section dedicated to neofinetia falcata. It's hard to find, and that's also a reason why I am making a website dedicated to the plants! I also have many prices and sizes that aren't on the web, so feel free to PM or e-mail me with questions.

I have purchased from Jason (Orchids Limited), New World Orchids, ebay (be careful) and my oldest Neo comes from a tiny little local greenhouse from back home. If you want the rare varieties, definitely ask Jason what he recommends.

I think I am in love with the bean leaf varieties of Neofinetia. The Ootakamaru I posted above has put out three new growths since I bought it. And they are so compact and just neat to look at. They get quite a few leaves too so they look full. Jason, can you suggest some other cool bean leafers besides Ootakamaru and Tamakongo?

My Neofinetia goals for this spring are to get a few more colored flower varieties like Syutenno, Syojo, Benisuzumi and Hisui. I would also like to get a really nice Seikai. And maybe another Ounami Seikai like the one posted above.

Who the hell am I kidding? I want multiples of all of them. :) Jason also needs to run a sale on Neofinetia methinks!!!

I also wish Jason would compile a reference list of the correct spellings, and literal meanings of the names of the Neofinetia commonly seen for sale here. Like he isn't busy enough already.

:evil:

John,

Some other cool bean leaves are:

Seikai (as you know)
Jyukai
Unkai
These three are expensive.

Some not-as-expensive types that I like are:
Kuro Shinjyu (black pearl, very small with a 1" leaf span being mature size)
Ao Shinjyu (blue pearl)
Beni Shinjyu (red pearl)
Isechabo
Ootakamaru
Suikaden (imperial flag, love this one!)
Hougyoku (very small, and I do have a couple available)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sold out of many of these, but you can always ask. I plan on getting a large shipment of den. moniliforme in late this month or early next, in which I'm going to include more neos. Neo requests are welcome at this time as well.

I can take a look at my bean leaf collection and do some dividing as well. Give me a few days and I'll send you a list :).

-Jason

Jason Fischer said:
I can take a look at my bean leaf collection and do some dividing as well. Give me a few days and I'll send you a list :).

Please do. I am thinking about placing some order's in the next few weeks. What's the weather like up there?

Thanks Jason!! I'll have to take a look!

I really wish I had a kiln and a wheel (kick wheel, never was fond of the motorized ones), I really miss making pottery. I love the neos and the neo pots are just amazing as well. :) I keep thinking about what neat pots I could make... of course, I really need the stuff to do it! :rollhappy:

Ok, I seriously need help.... My 'want' list of neos just keeps growing. :eek: :drool:

I just LOVE them.

What do you think of this as a beginning "want" list?

cyusentetsu aojiku
syutenno
hisui
tamakongo
setsu zan
hakuun
akabana
kirin maru

I know there's no way I can afford to go out and buy all those, but I think I'll try to pick up a couple here and there. Watching my benisuzume and higashi grow new roots and spike really has me hooked....

I'm still trying to train this one wacky errant leaf on the higashi... :rollhappy: It was at a 90 degree angle from the rest, now it's mostly in line... but still not quite there. :rolleyes:

That looks like a good list to me. I don't think you can go wrong with a neo as long as you only buy what you can afford, and you can keep them alive.

I would never buy some of the more expensive, one-growth plants. Seikai is about as expensive as I want to go.

John,

If you see this, you may post the list I PM'd you for others to see as well (I forgot what I listed) as I know I can make more divisions. This way people can save a few bucks if they are interested in smaller divisions. Your plants have all been potted up and are ready to go when you are!

Per your request Jason. If availability changes shoot me an email so I can update the post. [email protected]

The beans:

Hougyoku $45
Isechabo $25
Kutsuwamushi (pinkish flowers) $25
Tamakongo $35

Tiger:

Hanagoromo $25 (2 to 3 growth)
Kinkujyaku (bean and tiger, $35)

Needle:

Seiryujishi $35 (contorted + needle)

Colored:

Shutennou $25
Hisui $65 (this batch has been a very nice bright green)

I sent him one too. :D

Mabye I'll splurge for a proper pot too.... :p I still miss making them. :(

One of these days, when the greenhouse is finished, I will buy or make myself a good kickwheel and buy a kiln so I can get back into it.

Must be something about Neofinetias and clay arts. I majored in Ceramics in my first round of college.

Beware Neo fans ... some of the angraecoids have similar charms.
For those with limited space who like neos, I would recommend trying one of the smaller angraecoids mounted so you can see the roots grow out over the bark ... (Aerangis mystacidii for example is easy and has fragrant flowers).
Cheers,
Tim

Back