Neofinetia (Vanda) falcata Hybrids In Bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattWoelfsen

Reaction score
Neofinetia falcata species are white, there are some Neos that have colored flowers, some growers have noted that the colored flowers are a hybrid but they have been bred back long ago to Neofinetia. No one kept good records back then so that is a mystery.

However, there are several Neos that are available that are colorful and seem to have the best of both parents. This picture has three hybrids, all based on Neofinetia.

(I am using the pre-name change. It is a little confusing.)

The small plant in front is Vandachostylis Deep Blue Seas. It is a cross of the hybrid Darwinara Charm 'Blue Pacific' x Asctm christensonianum.

The plant behind it is Aschofinetia Cherry Blossom which is a primary hybrid of Neofinetia falcata x Aschocentrum ampullaceum.

The orange flowered orchid is Vanda Sunlight which is a hybrid of Neofinetia falcata by Vand Suksamran.

The flowers do have a very light fragrance, a little stronger in the evening.

d65c2391ff4c28d0b17d09cf5bb75fe7.jpg

All three are wonderful in different ways...color and size
are amazing. I admire all the Neo plants that you've posted over time. Are you a windowsill grower or a greenhouse grower? I'd love to know all your secrets!

All three are wonderful in different ways...color and size
are amazing. I admire all the Neo plants that you've posted over time. Are you a windowsill grower or a greenhouse grower? I'd love to know all your secrets!

Thank you for your kind words, abax! I wish I had a green house. But I sort of grow in a modified window sill. The grow space is on the western side of the house in front of a glass brick wall and sky lights.

1. I supplement natural light with LED lights 10 hours a day, on timers.
2. I run fans intermittently 24x7
3. I have a humidifier set on 60% relative humidity.
4. I water at least once a week in the Winter--early in the day. In warmer weather I water more frequently.
5. I apply fertilizer every watering, weakly--1/4 of the recommended dosage per gallon. Suspend fertilizer in the Winter.

I grow my Furan in the Japanese kokedai method--which is using a mound of NZ Sphagnum Moss. This moss fits my watering discipline. Other growers use orchid bark. I have also seen them mounted on rocks or cork or cedar planks.

These hybrids are grown in orchid bark. When they end their blooming time, I will re-pot, probably in Orchiata, charcoal, sponge rock or grow stones.

How low are your winter temps. in the growing area? I'm
still trying to find way to grow them and get the bright
winter light and cool temps.

Abax, night time temperatures Winter evenings can drop as low as 50F. Since this space is in my master bath, I have blocked off the entrance into the Jacuzzi with clear, plastic shower curtains. I am able to achieve some control over the temperatures and humidity. Neofinetia falcata are pretty flexible, ideally they should be dormant in the winter due to cold temperatures and cessation of or minimal hydration but high relative humidity and bright lights.

It seems that if you can provide approximate winter conditions you will still get flower results like the ones posted. These are Neofinetia hybrids, because of their Vanda parent, they can tolerate warmer temperatures during the winter.

Angela, with neo hybrids which I believe involves plants with no winter requirement, should grow and flower fine, or at least easier if you can't get the winter temperature down enough.

HP, still working on trying to find the right conditions. I can
used my LED set up for light, but the low temps. are defeating me so far. My greenhouse never gets below
60F even in winter.

Do you have temperature monitors throughout your GH, Angela? If you do, you might find some micro-climates that go a little lower than 60. That should work for neo hybrids.

I wonder how many neos Angela has tried?
It might have just been the plant.
Mine flower, poorly, with warm winter of over 60F.

Latest posts

Back