Neofinetia falcata 'Tosamidori'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
:D

June2420100021024x768post.jpg

I also have a Neo plant of the variety 'Hisui' and I believe I recall my 'Hisui' blooming out with even more intense green coloration than this one, but I can't remember for certain. :eek: Seemingly any plants whose flowers I would like to compare side by side never bloom at the same time, plus I have too many Neos now to keep track of them all in my brain. :poke: I'm making a half-hearted effort at more diligent documentation of these things in writing and in more photos this year too. :cool:

Here's another shot, slightly different lighting and position.
June2420100201024x768.jpg

Last edited:
Very pretty, but honestly it looks so much like hisui that I'm not sure if I could tell the difference!

The leaves on my Tosamidori have much more substance -- they are thicker, wider and longer -- and they persist on the plant much longer than the leaves of Hisui. I think they have more curve to them as well. The leaves of my Hisui stick out like spears. Tosamidori is a much more shapely plant overall. Hisui doesn't hold its leaves for very long, so there are never a lot of leaves on any given fan. Hisui plant has spots of pigmentation on it too, much like Kibana or Ogonmaru. The roots of Tosamidori are a lot more plump than those of Hisui. The flowers of Tosamidori and Hisui are, however, very similar in appearance. :p Hisui might be a tad bit more fragrant than Tosamidori.

The leaves on my Tosamidori have much more substance -- they are thicker, wider and longer -- and they persist on the plant much longer than the leaves of Hisui. I think they have more curve to them as well. The leaves of my Hisui stick out like spears. Tosamidori is a much more shapely plant overall. Hisui doesn't hold its leaves for very long, so there are never a lot of leaves on any given fan. Hisui plant has spots of pigmentation on it too, much like Kibana or Ogonmaru. The roots of Tosamidori are a lot more plump than those of Hisui. The flowers of Tosamidori and Hisui are, however, very similar in appearance. :p Hisui might be a tad bit more fragrant than Tosamidori.

Well, allrighty then!

Nice! I wish my Hisui would have made flowers like that. It bloomed with bigger flowers this year but they were not as well formed and not as dark as last year.

Now that I have one, this makes me want to go and get a green and white one ,and then a yellow one....(

First learn how not to kill the new one you've just gotten, then get more varieties. :wink: Don't overwater it and kill the roots! The plant will survive dryness much better than overwatering. Overwatering will kill a Neo FAST! :p My experience is that they like frequent wet/dry cycles better than anything else, so that is what I give them. Mine go from bone dry to drenched, back and forth like that a couple of times per day, and they grow like weeds for me! Not everyone is able to do that, so find another way to give them both moisture and air at the roots and you should do well. Perhaps you could mount your Neo on cork with some good quality New Zealand sphagnum moss (don't wrap it too tightly). Wet it and let it dry. Wet it again. Let it dry. If you don't bury the roots in too much moss nor too tightly under the moss, then you probably don't need to let the plant get totally bone dry between waterings. Just let it get to the barely-damp stage before dunking it again. :clap: I use RO water and make a dilute MSU formula solution to use for most waterings, about 1/4 tsp to a gallon. Also I dunk or flush my plants in/with plain RO water quite frequently to remove salt buildup.

Now that I have one, this makes me want to go and get a green and white one ,and then a yellow one....:(

and then there's light pink, dark pink, purplish pink, extra floral parts, sky facing flowers, spurless flowers, needle leaves, bean leaves, varigations, patches, blotches, rasha leaves... :poke: :D

OK Lanmark, thanx. it's in bark but per advice in a very windy area.
and then there's light pink, dark pink, purplish pink, extra floral parts, sky facing flowers, spurless flowers, needle leaves, bean leaves, varigations, patches, blotches, rasha leaves... :poke: :D
"YES, YES, YES!!" Meg Ryan - When Harry met Sally!

Latest posts

Back