Neobenthamia gracilis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Neobenthamia gracilis

I've been told before that this is now considered a Polystachya, but I don't see a lot of references clarifying on that so for now I'm sticking to what the tag says.

This is hard to photograph since it's not in a spot where I can move it. It's indoors this time of year due to the weather, but this is one of the orchids that always goes out in the summer. They like bright light and warm temperatures. I slowly acclimate it to nearly full sun once it goes out in the spring. Brighter light keeps the growths a more manageable size. I have grown it indoors in years past, and individual growths can exceed 8 - 9 feet (3m) in lower light conditions.

I grow this in a terrestrial mix of standard potting soil with some bark & large perlite mixed in, though it'll do fine in pure soil. It's a fast grower that I have to divide periodically. I usually keep a small piece and get rid of the rest.

The lovely clusters of flowers have a lovely scent to them. It's culinary in nature. I think it reminds me of butter cream with perhaps a faint dash of wintergreen mint. It's pleasant for sure.

mqQBotLl.jpg

wR2Okscl.jpg

Album

Very nice! I like your description on the flowers.

Back