Neo - s/h to traditional (Warning - Image Heavy)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just repotted mine this weekend, I made a cavity in the middle (some places say you can do it with or without) The only difference is that I used live sphagnum moss. Does anyone think that is a bad thing? I didn't have any dried at my house and have LOADS of it growing in a boggy area in my woods. It came out pretty good though. I'll post pics later.

-JOsh

Marco, neither have I till I did it... :), I'll post a pic later on. I just wonder if it would affect it in any way being live...??

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what kind of conditions live sphag needs to grow but I'm pretty sure neos like to somewhat dry out in between watering. I don't know if live sphag will take to kindly to that. How long is the sphag that you're pulling from your backyard?

It's not that long, some is maybe 2", some less. I know the sphag will die after a few days...I mounted a Masdevallia with some of the live moss and after about a week, even with daily watering it still died.

2" or 2'? and what died the sphag? I was talking to NY Eric about them one time and he told me they weren't all the easiest to take care of

No, not 2 feet, 2 inches, maybe 3, but I might be lying. yes, the sphag died. But I have some that I didn't end up using and it is growing fine on top of some fine PA in a shallow dish (well it's really a mushroom container). I'm going to go and take some pics right now...

Here are some pics...

moss...
moss.jpg

Neo mount...
neomount1.jpg

And the other side
neomount2.jpg

Nice looking Neo! I'm interested to see how the Sphag. changes over time - can you continue to update us?

We have sphag. growing in the garden where I work and it is in a very sunny local, but I think it must always keep its feet wet enough to stay alive.

Brian - (likespaphs) - think you might be able to weigh in on this? Oh moss king? Moss king...wherefore art thou moss king???

Marco and Heather, I can't take any credit for how nice the plant looks, I've only had it for about a month..we'll see in about a year how nice it looks. Heather, thats true about the sphag, it needs to be contantly wet to be green, if it dries out it turns white and dies (or looks like it's dead) but when it gets wet again it will green right up. There is some in my woods that is a little higher off the ground and dries out for most of the summer but in the spring and fall it is green again. I'll post some more pics later on. I actually planted some phrag penns creek cascade sedlings in live moss about 2 weeks ago (I got 8 of them and they all had 1 or 2 roots each) and the moss is still very alive, but they are in plastic pots so it stays more moist.

hey, where'd you buy the nice moss from? also from New World?
are those betta fish i see in the background? i love them too!
like neos, you can't get just one, and the real pretty ones cost a lot

Latest posts

Back