Neo gojo fukurin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
for those of you seeing this orchid for the first time, it's full name is neofinetia falcata, commonly called the 'samurai orchid' from japan as nobles and samurai would collect these species. they have been prized and selected for different forms and colors for a few thousand years. this one has the varietal designation 'gojo fukurin' which is japanese for ... (I don't know) but I was told that it was an official designation for the leaves that have some slight variegation. I received this division from cnyos club member iris cohen in return for some photography work on either some of her orchids or bonsai. I believe she originally received a division from joe kunisch of bloomfield orchids near rochester, ny. neofinetias have an absolutely wonderful fragrance which is the strongest at night

my neo with some variegation has been flowering for about a week and most of the flowers are open so I took some pictures when the sun was out after work. I'm not crazy about the pictures because the flowers all emerged in a clump facing all different directions so aren't overly photogenic. ... the fragrance more than makes up for that, however! :rollhappy:

I had the plant right under the end of a fluorescent light fixture, and at first it looked they would open in a nice spray but then later I saw that they pointed back and forth. when I tried to get some nice pictures it was a little tough to get nice closeups with others in the background; also I think my lens needs cleaning as the pics look a little 'smeary'.. maybe i'll try the other longer lens or actually clean this one

neobloom411a.JPG

neobloom411b.JPG

neobloom411b2.JPG

neobloom411c.JPG

I have a small light box, so maybe if the sun is out tomorrow i'll take the plant outside and see if I can get a nice pic with surround light

the fragrance really is amazing :D

Neofinetias really do have amazing fragrance -- and they are not all the same.

I hope our Mark sees this thread. He will probably know the meaning of 'gojo fukurin'.

I love neos, and have several.

But your photos are marvelous...and capture why neos are so intoxicating!

Lovely

Once I get the means to expand my collection beyond paphs and phrags ( soon tm ) they are high on my list together with lycastes.

Hey Charles, nice flowering. This is a nice marginal leaf type and pretty fast clumping, so yours should be quite a bit bigger in just a few years.

Fukurin (覆輪) does indeed refer to variegation, specifically white or yellow on the margin of the leaf with green along the midriff. In truth though it means "ornamental border". Go (御) means "honorable" and jyou (覆) "castle". So altogether it translates as "honorable castle ornamental border".

The long and the short of it is that Japanese names aren't really worth pursuing. Even most Japanese don't know them or names are picked because they sound good.

Back