Neo falcata - a few hundred flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid-fever

Reaction score
This is Neo falcata 'Virginia Anne' CCM/AOS. I have had her for nine years and watched her grow from 2 small growths into this. This will be its best flowering yet with over 300 flowers.
4ebu3are.jpg

Geez. You'd think that in 9 years you'd have figured out how to grow it..... (Insert grin here).

That is nothing short of fantastic, and you are certainly deserving of a cultural award.

Unbelievable, I have a large clone that is not far off that. My problem is that the growths can become so dense they impeded the emergence of some inflorescences. I guess that is not a problem I should be complaining about though. Great growing on this one.

A-freakin'-mazing!!!!! I hope you'll post this on some of the other orchid forums as well. This is one for the books! :clap::drool::clap:

The question I always ask when I see a Neo like this: Is that an Amami Island form of Neo?

NYEric- I've had success keeping them cool in the winter...they get eastern light in winter and shaded eastern outdoors....4 of my 5 spiked this year, and 2 are in full bloom. Of course none look like that one!

Thanks everyone. Ok so here is the story. I got it 9 years ago from Oak Hills as a 2 growth plant simply labeled Neo falcata.

Back then I grew it on a windowsill with supplemental fluorescent light. At the time I fancied using a soldering iron to add extra aeration holes to my pots. The plant grew quickly in the swiss cheese pot. I had cleaned the roots and wrapped them over a ball of coconut coir; the stringy type. Over that I wrapped New Zealand sphagnum moss around the rootball and then shoved the thing into the plastic pot. It grew like that for five years until I finally was forced to repot it.
I chose a teak basket lined with sphagnum moss and filled it with coir, styrofoam chips, and shredded moss. That is where it has been for the last four years. It grows in my greenhouse now, with 60% shade cloth and it is fertilized regularly at about 250 PPM. I have other types of Neos but none grow anything like this one...

T, styrofoam chips, and shredded moss. That is where it has been for the last four years. It grows in my greenhouse now, with 60% shade cloth and it is fertilized regularly at about 250 PPM. I have other types of Neos but none grow anything like this one...

Well that would be a tatal CCM without any doubt whatever. Well done!!! Any more pictures?

Latest posts

Back