Neo. benisuzume, tsukenashi, and benikanzashi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
Neo. benisuzume, tsukenashi, and benikanzashi

benizusume is a pink/purplish flowered variant

tsukenashi is a neo without a tsuke (abscission zone)

benikanzashi is an unstable pink/purplish 3 spurred neo. Unfortunately, this one only has one spur. Hopefully future bloomings will have three.

benisuzume (紅雀) 01 - 05.14.17 by Marco, on Flickr

benisuzume (紅雀) 02 - 05.14.17 by Marco, on Flickr

tsukenashi (風蘭) 01 - 05.14.17 by Marco, on Flickr

tsukenashi (風蘭) 04 - 05.14.17 by Marco, on Flickr

benikanzashi (紅簪) 03 - 05.14.17 by Marco, on Flickr

benikanzashi (紅簪) 01 - 05.14.17 by Marco, on Flickr

benikanzashi (紅簪), benisuzume (紅雀), tsukenashi (風蘭) 01 - 05.14.17 by Marco, on Flickr

Yes, my Beniskanzashi -- which I no longer have (Dot may have it now, if I recall correctly) and which never produced three-spurred flowers for me (but it would still have the potential to do so) -- had flowers, spurs, penduncles and flower stems which were all decidedly more suffused with purplish red pigment than my best Syutenno ever was.

All of these are lovely, well-grown plants! :clap:

Tom / Mark - Thanks. I wouldn't have given it a second thought otherwise. I looked at some other photos online and see what you mean. I also have a neo purchased as a hanakanzashi. It would be great if you can provide input on the hanakanzashi if it also blooms with a single spur.

HP - second and third photos are of the tsuke-less neo. It's a little bit of a pain to clean up because all dried leaves need to be cut off.

Hmm strange because I see tsuke on the last plant. ??

I also have Hanakanzashi, which is in low spike.
I hear that three spurs are unstable on these varieties.
Even if not, I am happy because it's like a mini version of Shutennou.

Hanakanzashi gets bigger as it matures, Happy. Mine was actually a little bigger than my Shutennou. I found the color to be darker than Shutennou and the fragrance stronger as well.

Marco and Happy, it is entirely possible for your Hanakanzashi plants to bloom with single spurs for several years and then suddenly produce multiple spurs.

Really? How big is your Shutennou, then?
Mine is rather big. But Shutennou has been made via seeds over and over that there seems to be big variation regarding the plant size and flower color saturation.

And how big is your Hanakanzashi??
It's supposed to be a small variety.
Mine has 9 growths has very small.

From what I understand, Hanakanzashi is a small plant with three spur flowers and it arose among seedlings of Shutennou.
Another issue with Hanakanzashi is that even when the flowers bloom out Roth three spurs, often the length of the spurs is not all the same.

There are some other similar varieties with more stable three spurs but I don't know the names in Japanese.

My Shutennou was big with beautifully colored flowers. It came from Glenn Lehr way back when he first started selling them in the 90s.

The Hanakanzashi was a large, multigrowth plant which had leaves which were darker green than Shutennou's and larger flowers with longer spurs as well. It grew more compactly than Shutennou in that it had a more neat habit and didn't sprawl all over the place, but the leaves were definitely longer than Shutennou's. I can't recall if I got it from Glenn or from Satomi. I no longer have the Shutenou nor the Hanakanzashi. I gave them both away during my few-years hiatus from growing orchids.

Indeed I have seen photos of the three spurred flowers produced by Hanakanzashi. Sometimes they look just like a pink Manjushage and sometimes the spurs are shouldered and of different lengths.

There is Oiran which is pink and has three spurs. I don't know whether or not it is more stable.

Okheon has crossed Raizan (I believe this is what he said) with Manjushage to get a pink three-spurred flower which blooms consistently. I think it is called Mangetsu.

I saw a picture of pink manjushage cross.
The flowers were completely saturated dark pink.
The price was quite hefty.

I prefer delicate colors of white with mix rather than completely pink flowers on neo.

I am tempted to cross manjushage & pink neo just for fun. :)

I am tempted to cross manjushage & pink neo just for fun. :)

You should, but you will need to grow out about a thousand seedlings to find that one with three spurs. :rollhappy: Of course it might not be pink...

BTW, I like the subtle coloration better too.

In my book, Mangekyou (万華鏡) and Akausagi (赤兎) have pink flower and 3-spurs. Both derived from seed propagation.

Thanks Naoki! Mangekyou is what I was going for earlier, not Mangetsu. I know better and should have caught that error. I used to have a beautiful Mangetsu. Mangetsu is one of the finest Fukurin (marginal variegation) available. Only Fuukiden is considered better.

Latest posts

Back