need some help guys, for a surefire mealy killer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enstar should be used as part of a cocktail - never use it alone

I'm reading this thread for the first time. If you have more than 50 orchids you really should not fool around with half measures. It is possible to kill off mealy bug infestations completely, but you must resort to chemical warfare.

First - about Enstar II, according to the original Sandoz labelling it was not designed to be used alone. It is not efective that way. It was designed to be used as part of a tank mix (cocktail) when applied to the plant. The other component originally recomended was Mavrik, another Sandoz product that is a relatively inexpensive 2nd generation synthetic pyrethroid. The combination at manufacturer's recomended dose works wonders. When I find a mealie infestation I spray my collection with this mix twice, about 10 to 14 days apart. And that is it. I have had 100% kill of all pests with this mixture. Generally I do this in the Fall, after a frost so that I get few or no new recruits from outside. My collection will stay clean until mid summer following. Which means there are no significant populations of mealies hiding and survivng. The new recruits come in from outside or come in on new acquisitions.

Tank mix cocktails that have worked for me include:
Mavrik + Enstar II
Mavrik + Enstar II + Pentac WP + 2 drops wetter sticker
Decathalon WP + Enstar II + Pentac WP + 2 drops wetter sticker
Decathalon WP + Enstar II + wetter sticker
Merit + Enstar II
Merit + Enstar II + Pentac WP

The patttern is use a cocktail, use WP or AD formulations when possible. (fewer problems with effects from the solvents) I add Pentac WP when I see evidence of spider mites or false spider mites. The 3 part cocktail kills 'em all and lets God sort 'em out.

These chemicals are not cheap to buy, but are very effective in these types of combinations and become cheap to use because they work, which means you use them less often.

You must wear protective gear, and must get out of the growing area until the foliage is dry once you have used these things. Take a shower afterward, change clothes. don't go back into the greenhouse or growing area until the next day.

My collection is too valuable to fool around with half measures. So I do what the commercial guys do. When I use this mix on 'house plants' or orchids that are grown in the home, I move all the plants to an outdoor patio (weather permitting) or a garage. Then spray there. Clean the house area where the plants were before putting the plants back. Bring the plants back in once they are dry. Key is spray everybody, don't skip any plants because they look 'clean', sure enough this is where a pregnant mealie will be hiding.

There are other chemicals that work, but key is, 2 applications, close enough together that juvinal mealies from eggs hatching after the intitial spray don't have a chance to mature and start egg laying before the second spray. The second key is use a cocktail that include a growth hormone regulator. This is what really breaks the pernicious infestations. Use it in the cocktail.
Cheers
Leo

Tank mix cocktails that have worked for me include:
Mavrik + Enstar II
Mavrik + Enstar II + Pentac WP + 2 drops wetter sticker
Decathalon WP + Enstar II + Pentac WP + 2 drops wetter sticker
Decathalon WP + Enstar II + wetter sticker
Merit + Enstar II
Merit + Enstar II + Pentac WP

Leo
This looks like a WW 1 trench warfare chemist's diary! :sob:

It is warfare, when you have $$$$ worth of orchids, you need to keep the collection as insect free as possible. If you let a chronic infestation develop you end up spreading virus besides the direct damage from the mealies and aphids. Aphids do spread virus, and once infected virus is forever. SO in order to control virus, I am a zealot when it comes to insect control.
Leo

I'm with you Leo. I guess some people have lots of money to throw down the toilet. I'm a bug and virus zealot, too.

This looks like a WW 1 trench warfare chemist's diary! :sob:

actually, those are all pretty modern pesticides which may or may not be "reduced risk". it's the old school stuff you really have to worry about as some of those really are modified nerve agents that may have been used back then....

Funny, I'm a North Dakota certified private applicator (did it for class, and to add to my resume:p), but I've never been one for chemicals unless Really necessary, but I've finally reached necessary I guess and had to look up this thread and get myself some Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower...errr First Paph I ever got was from a 'going out of business sale' (learned my lesson there, the cranky lady taking my order should have been my 1st clue to hang up and order elsewhere...), so now years and years later, sometimes going months w/o seeing another soft scale, I see they've found my yummy little fast growing henryanum seedlings, so it's time for them to just be GONE. :mad:
On a non-chemical note, I did very nearly get rid of them ~1yr ago using seed grown citrus as a trap crop, since these particular scale must prefer key limes to orchids - when I noticed I was picking less off orchids, and the key limes were covered, I threw the limes out, along w/ most of the scale - I may save some more pie making leftovers and plant some seedlings again after a couple treatments w/ the imid. and test the effectiveness :evil: If they suddenly become covered in jumbo sized soft scale again (they grew much more robustly on the citrus, sappy gunk everywhere and Much larger than they ever get on my orchids:eek:), then I'll bag em and throw em out and start over again and see how long it takes me to divert all the little buggers:mad:
....If anyone would like my key lime pie recipe, just let me know:evil::rollhappy:

Well, I am pleased to announce that what has been not so affectionately termed "The Great Mealy Crisis of 2008" seems to be over. I lost a few great plants and a bunch of brachys, but things seem to be fine now (knock on wood). I haven't seen a mealy in a week, but regardless, everything got sprayed with Bayer Tree and Shrub today, and I have a bottle of Malathion waiting in my cupboard. From here on out I am going to spray and quarantine all new plants, I've been quite stupid not to in the past.

Glad the battle has been successful.

Question on the same topic...how long do you all keep plants in quarantine after the last time you see a mealie? I picked up a compot about a month ago that arrived covered in mealies. Went through the song and dance and haven't seen one in three weeks.

Glad the battle has been successful.

Question on the same topic...how long do you all keep plants in quarantine after the last time you see a mealie? I picked up a compot about a month ago that arrived covered in mealies. Went through the song and dance and haven't seen one in three weeks.

The conventional wisdom is quarantine them for at least three treatments 7-10 days apart.

Latest posts

Back