need some help guys, for a surefire mealy killer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick,
If you're happy spending $4.50 to $5.00 a container for the Bayer and you get some ridiculously low% Imidacloprid go for it....If I remember correctly it was close to only 1%. You're mainly paying for water, glycerine and an antifoaming agent.

My Merit WP is 75% Imidacloprid and you only need 1/8 tsp. per gallon. Not a crazy amount like with the Bayer.

Afraid is not just the economy of it. I'm a toxicologist by trade, and I just prefer to own and use as few chemicals as possible. If the beneficial insects had done the trick I would have quite there. I get lots of spiders and occasional lacewings and hover flies in the gh, and I hate to loose all that with tougher chemical regimes. I handle plently of nasty things at work, and prefer not to increase my exposure at home too.

I've been very happy with Bayer (actually I believe it's their "Rose and Bloom" that has Merrit in it). It comes pre mixed in a pump sprayer, and for 5 or 6$ it will work a small collection of 100-300 plants fairly well.

That's correct, Rick. The reason for suggesting the Tree & Shrub is because it's the same active ingredient (Imidacloprid) but in a larger bottle that you mix yourself, so it goes a lot further -- importart in you have a lot of orchids you want to treat. The premixed is good if you only have a few plants to treat.

Merit may be even more economical, but for the amount of orchids I have (about 400), I'd rather spend $40 for two bottles and use them up over a season than over $100 (I presume) and have left over chemical sitting around.

Matt: Interesting about the super mealies. I suspect any chemical will eventually create bugs that are resistent to it.

Dot, my Merit was around $50 and has lasted me over 3 years....

And it's a powder form there's no 'left over chemical sitting around'.

That's correct, Rick. The reason for suggesting the Tree & Shrub is because it's the same active ingredient (Imidacloprid) but in a larger bottle that you mix yourself, so it goes a lot further -- importart in you have a lot of orchids you want to treat. The premixed is good if you only have a few plants to treat.

Merit may be even more economical, but for the amount of orchids I have (about 400), I'd rather spend $40 for two bottles and use them up over a season than over $100 (I presume) and have left over chemical sitting around.

Matt: Interesting about the super mealies. I suspect any chemical will eventually create bugs that are resistent to it.

Are you talking about Merit 2.5G for ornamental shrubs & small trees? I bought this instead of Merit 75WSP and now have no idea how to dose it. Is this what you're referring to (the 2.5G)? If it is, how do you mix it?.

Thanks
Tomas Johannsen

I found thrips resistant to the Bayer after the initial application. It took moving to do them in.

BTW, I have my plants outside and plan to bring them in tomorrow. I am not planning to spray with anything as I have had no problems - except there are a few small spiders that I'd prefer not to infiltrate my living quarters. Can I just brush them away and hope they don't re-appear? If they do it's no big deal but....I already have too many of them in my basement and I'm tolerant for a couple weeks and then I vacuum them up.

thrips are super quick to become resistant. leafminers are even faster, i've been told...

i try to trap the spiders in cups then release 'em outside, but i'm funny like that.

this is how you use merit 2.5 g. it's a granular so i don't know how well it'll be picked up by a plant in orchid media but it may work...

Are you talking about Merit 2.5G for ornamental shrubs & small trees? I bought this instead of Merit 75WSP and now have no idea how to dose it. Is this what you're referring to (the 2.5G)? If it is, how do you mix it?.

Thanks
Tomas Johannsen
Sorry Tomas -- I don't know the dilution rate for Merit. Maybe Candace does.

Sorry Tomas -- I don't know the dilution rate for Merit. Maybe Candace does.

(pssst... the underlined thing in my post has a link to the label.) it has all the usage instructions. the thing is it is a granular and is not meant to be diluted. as the label says, it's to be spread around the base of the plant...

Mealie Issues

*Bump*

Hey all, well I've been reading through the old posts to try and get some answers on battling mealies but over the past few weeks have had no luck in combating the little suckers. I've gone through with a q-tip and alcohol everyday, and it just seems like they are spreading. My whole collection is indoors (about 60 slippers) so I am reluctant to use heavy chemicals but I found a few on my favorite lowii this morning... and that means war. Any suggestions????? If it comes to it can I use a systemic spray on plants that are living indoors with me?

Julia
Going back in the thread a couple products are mentioned. This is spring and the box stores are stocking up. Some stuff get packaging changes and some gets reformulated. The Bayer Advanced "Rose and Flower" was the premixed spray bottle in my area. 24 oz $6-$7 ballpark. read the label =.012% Imidacloprid (Merit) and .0015% B-cyfluthrin (Tempo ultra)

A quart of Bayer advanced "Complete Insect Killer" was about $18 =.72% Imidacloprid. and also contains Tempo ultra. Dilute that 60 to 1 (1.5 teaspoons in a pint of water) in a spray bottle and you make 60 quarts of spray for a lot less. Spray the top of the medium as well as the plant to get where they hide.

And yes it is OK indoors, be carefull to use good care as with any chemicals, don't get it on you if you can help it and wash up well.

I use Enstar II and Merit twice a year....when I take them outsidein the spring and just before I bring them in for the winter. I also add protekt or any like product to my watering schedule (weekly). I have not hand any buggs for a year now.

I use Enstar II and Merit twice a year....when I take them outsidein the spring and just before I bring them in for the winter. I also add protekt or any like product to my watering schedule (weekly). I have not hand any buggs for a year now.

Does protekt help for red spider? I fight with that.

the simple way it was explained to was it makes the plant harder to eat and less tastey

Does protekt help for red spider? I fight with that.
ProteKt is a potash solution with high silicates.

So you get a bunch of potassium hydroxide with a bunch of silicates. Adding silicates has the potential of stiffening/thickening cell walls, and potentially making them more resistent to disease and pests.

I noticed a couple of scale on my Psychopsis spike a few weeks ago :eek: so I got Provado Ultimate Bug Killer by Bayer. The active ingredient is imidacloprid. I have 2 cats but I think I think it's fairly safe (same stuff as used in flea collars??) as long as you are careful, like with any chemical. After a few treatments I've not seen any more scale :evil:

I knew Rick would get in here and give the real scientific answer.....he is an Orchid God

Latest posts

Back