need some advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegayde

Reaction score
I recently bought a seedling in spike its a [(Maudiae x Magic Flame) 'Fuerte' x Ruby Peacock 'Black Lake'] cross......my question is it arrived in standard bark potting mix and I grow everything in Aussie Gold so not sure how well I will do with it leaving it in its current potting medium.....should I repot it now or do the best I can with it in bark mix until after it blooms?

second question.....I also bought a flask of Primulinum 4N x Self......this is the first time I have seen seedlings with roots coming out of the stalk of the seedlings not just at the base but up at the second and third leaves.......I went ahead and deflasked them and planted them normally but then I got to wondering if I should have planted them deeper so that those upper roots were in the medium as well.....any suggestions?

Todd

Plant seedlings deeper. I never had problems removing the leaves in between the roots. The plants will shorten up over time and grow normal. P.S. never lost a seedling doing this treatment.

I never had problems removing the leaves in between the roots.
I agree. And if you bury the roots and leaves it can cause rot.

I'm an advocate of moving plants to a medium that you know how do grow well in. I've repotted paphs in spike and they've been fine. In my opinion, paphs don't resent being repotted and as long as you don't break off a lot of roots in the process, it should be fine.

I agree with Candace. While it is not ideal timing, it is more important to get the plant into a mix you're used to working with. I might wait until the bloom opens, which won't be so long, then repot.

As far as the flasklings, as has been said you can pot them down. You don't even need to remove the leaves below the roots, they will rot but it will not travel into the stem if it is below a root, but it will probably make you feel better to remove them.

As far as repotting the plant in spike, we have always told people that they can repot anytime, in fact the more often the better except with the brittle rooted plants, but that is when you are using a similar potting mix to what they are already in. Roots tend to be very adapted to the type of mix they grew in, and going from a very open bark mix to the Aussie Gold is a dramatic change, and will almost guarantee that you will rot most of the existing roots. The trick in making such a dramatic switch is to have the plant grow new roots as fast as possible while delaying the loss of the old ones as much as possible. As a result, I would wait until it is done flowering in this case so as much energy as possible can be directed to root growth.

Thanks guys and gals....I appreciate all the advice it is most welcome........I am thinking the Primulinum is going to grow very similiar to a compot of Armeni White that I bought last year........instead of the normal growth habit where you have a fan of leaves.....that compot grew as what I would describe as leggy.......long stem sections between each leaf........I have 3 seedlings from the Armeni White compot and two of them are still very leggy looking and the other LOL seemingly overnight....cause I am not sure when it happened.....its almost like it suddenly grew leaves and filled in the leggy sections.....the Primulinum seedlings coming out of flask seem to be leggy as well as having roots coming out of the stems inbetween some of the leaves......ROFL I finally broke down and bought a digital cam....should be getting it next week so I will try to take some pics to show you what I mean

Thanks Again

Todd Cook

If you are getting flasks of leggy plantlets, the flask was possibly grown in low light or the plants were allowed to remain in flask too long. Not to dog anyone, but you might reconsider a different source of flasks, or if you're doing the work yourself, modify your conditions a little to correct. The plantlets should have "normal" leaf habit like the adults would... just smaller. I've "taken advantage" of several flask "deals" only to find the plantlets are leggy as you describe. It's awesome that you have success rescuing such leggy guys, but you shouldn't have to do any rescuing of properly grown flasklings IMO.

-Ernie

LOL oh great now you tell me this......I paid $35 + shipping for the Primulinum 4N flask which is more than I normally spend for a flask....yeah its the first Paph flask I have seen that is what I would call leggy.....now the seedlings in the other flask I got from the same source which was [(Maudiae x Magic Flame) 'Fuerte' x Ruby Peacock 'Black Lake'] were fine....thats the reason I thought maybe Primulinum tends to be a leggier seedling in the early stages

also I realized I put the wrong info on the spiking seedling that I got.....its......[(Magic Flame x callosum) ‘Red Pepper’ x Fire Rooster ‘Fuerte’)

no it was a full size flask advertised with at least 25 seedlings and it acutally had 36 seedlings in it......ROFL its me thats cheap........if I had the money of course I would spend more but right now I have a beer budget

ok here are some pics of the Armeni White seedlings

Attachments

• Armeni White Seedlings2.JPG
    Armeni White Seedlings2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 15
  • Armeni White Seedlings1.JPG
    Armeni White Seedlings1.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back