Need Paphiopedilum book for conservation research.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs_w

Reaction score
Hello friends, I am new to site and post an introduction yesterday about my mission. I currently am help educate locals about conservation and sustainable. To do that I require to read more book and get knowledge, but books too expensive for me to buy and I can only read from library. I always photocopy the books from the library (we can not borrow the scientific books) and study them using the photocopied book at home. The photocopy is allowed because this is under personal research use and not commercial. Right now I have read Cribb books, The Genus Paphiopedilum 2nd Edition, Slipper Orchids of Borneo 1st Edition, Slipper Orchids of Borneo 2nd Edition. I am still looking for some books and I hoping someone can send me a scan PDF of their books.

Your support to my conservation mission is very appreciated.

Here is list of books that I need PDF color scan (most important first):
1. Orchid Digest The Paphiopedilum Issue Volume 82-4
2. Lance Birk Paphiopedilum Growers Manual, 2nd Edition
3. Dr. Jack Fowlie checklist and articles of Paphiopedilums in Orchid Digest
4. Professor Guido Braem The Genus Paphiopedilum Natural History and Cultivation Volume 1 and 2
5. Professor Guido Braem The Genus Paphiopedilum 2nd Edition eBook
6. First description of Paphiopedilum ooi, sugiyamanum, platyphyllum, inamorii, kolopakingii, supardii.

The PDF scans provided will not be use for commercial and will only be personal use for my research purpose. I really appreciate your help toward making Borneo indigenous tribes value conservation and understood how to protect plants for future generation. I also aims to try and encourage nation to produce Paphiopedilum to sell and maybe cooperate holistic with the village collectors.

My email is [email protected]

I am humbly thank everyone for support and help. I will share my progress from time to time, but because now is Covid-19 season and we movement restriction, my goal is finish study all the PDF books that you sent and then once Covid over I will go back to the villages and continue with the mission. Below I share with you the photos of the wild-collected Paphiopedilum by collectors, and why I really need yours help to provide the PDF scan of book and make this dream of conserving Paphiopedilum became reality. I do not grow any Paphiopedilum as mention in my intro because it against my principle. This photo I took when I visit the collector and understood the situation, their income source, and why they make a living by collect. I want to try to change mindset of villagers to learn and understood this Paphiopedilums will maybe extinct one day.

We here have many Paphiopedilum lover, but legal Paphiopedilum like in flask or seedling is very expensive and no one want to sell. Most time the village collector go in forest, collect plant, then sell for very cheap. Maybe RM50 (12USD) for P. rothschildianum with 3 growth, volonteanum maybe 5 growth RM50. Some cheap one maybe RM10 (2USD) for 1 growth. I am currently on one-man mission because my country government and law enforce no political will. Wild Paphiopedilum can cross border so easily within country illegal and no one care about it. I hope you can support my mission by sharing the information and send PDF of the book.

Thank you all very so much and God bless you for your helping.

10341508_1426005261000503_6934227929593948872_n_Paphvolonteanum.jpg
11039055_1656273537988723_2944091913492248810_n_Paphrothschildianum.jpg

I am all for conservation etc. But 1 of those books you mentioned is like 665 pages, and I don't think somebody is going to scan 665 pages into a pdf.

The other thing is that no-one really knows you, and while limited pages are allowed to be scanned for research purposes ---- I think there is some rule about scanning entire books (that violates copyright etc).

Last edited:
Dear Mr. SouthPark,

Thank you for yours advice. I not know about rule. Sorry. I will ask now only the pages that I really need for the conservation. I hope you can help me.

Limited pages scan PDF of book (not entire book):
1. Orchid Digest The Paphiopedilum Issue Volume 82-4
- An Annotated Checklist of Paphiopedilum Species
- Slipper Orchids and CITES, A Bankrupt and Useless Policy

2. Lance Birk Paphiopedilum Grower's Manual, 2nd Edition
- species list chapter
- conservation chapter

3. Jack Fowlie Orchid Digest
- species checklist
- conservation article

4. Professor Guido Braem The Genus Paphiopedilum Natural History and Cultivation Volume 1 and 2
- conservation chapter

5. Professor Guido Braem The Genus Paphiopedilum 2nd Edition eBook
- conservation chapter

6. First description of Paphiopedilum ooi, sugiyamanum, platyphyllum, inamorii, kolopakingii, supardii.

Thank you for supports, Mr. SouthPark.

Last edited:
That is an important mission you talk about.
What is your concept and what measures are you taking?
Is there an institution you work with?

cs ---- if you email the authors and mention specifically you would only like to see the 'conservation' chapters, then there is a chance that they can even help you directly.
Thank you Mr. SouthPark. I will do that and contact authors. Can please share email for Mr. Harold Koopowitz, Mr. Lance Birk? I just now find and already got Professor Braem email, will contact him later.

Right now more important Orchid Digest Paphiopedilum Issue because the update checklist and the CITES article. Also Lance Birk species and chapter on conservation.

I think for Dr. Jack Fowlie no more we can contact because he already pass on. Maybe someone who got his Orchid Digest can kindlier scan PDF of his article and checklist (only article, no full book). I think hard to contact author who make original description for Paphiopedilum sugiyamanum, platyphyllum, kolopakingii. Paphiopedilum ooii is Koopowitz. Supardii is Braem. Paph. inamorii is I just remember maybe can find in the library when movement restrict is no more.

Thank you for suggest, Mr. SouthPark. Very appreciate, God bless.

That is an important mission you talk about.
What is your concept and what measures are you taking?
Is there an institution you work with?
Hello Mr. Musa, nice meet you.

My concept is focus on going to the ground, the village, the collector. Understood them, how they make a living... Many sell orchid because easy. Go jungle, collect free, then sell. One day maybe get RM100-200 (24-48USD). Enough buy 2 bags of rice, vegetables. There have apply permit, but the local enforcement no good. I approach collector, get them understood that Paphiopedilum go extinct if collect many. In past two years they tell Paphiopedilum dayanum getting lesser, and Paphiopedilum virens hard to find now, not like when 10 years ago. Paphiopedilum rothschildianum still plenty they tell, but if no body educate about conservation and how propagate, it will gone in maybe later future 10 years.

I not join any institution yet because I want make progress first. No progress sometime the institute do not put important to it, they see no serious. Plants have less attention, so many collecting but any report no once take seriously. If big animal like elephant, sunbear everyone help. Everyone sad. But if plant no one seem interested because is plant. I am sad for big animal and for plant. I want try make the local understood plant is important, just like animal. So now I make progress, then record it, then contact institute and tell my method work.

I hope one day can make a good understanding with government and local people. Now focus is educate. Before I educate them, I educate myself. That is reason I request humbly for scan PDF of book section on Paphiopedilum checklist and conservation article.

Thank you for supports, Mr. Musa. God bless.

Hi everyone, I have been advise by my partner to pause my effort and plan. I been told now to better my approach to seek the info, and also not the correct time to do this, so I accept advise and move on. Now I reflect on next step. Will continue 'lurking' in forum but in quiet. May be no more post thread. I deeply sorry if have offend anyone.

Thanks you all for help. God bless. Hope fully one day I will back one day to share progress. Bless all. Thank all for help again.

You're intentions seem genuine and I wish you the very best. You are probably making a bigger contribution to the hobby, and more importantly to nature more than any of us. Sure we could all keep the genetics intact but the plants need to have a home in the jungle and frankly Borneo holds such a huge wealth of biodiversity to see it getting ravaged from all sides is heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Thank you Mr. SouthPark. I will do that and contact authors. Can please share email for Mr. Harold Koopowitz, Mr. Lance Birk? I just now find and already got Professor Braem email, will contact him later.

Right now more important Orchid Digest Paphiopedilum Issue because the update checklist and the CITES article. Also Lance Birk species and chapter on conservation.

I think for Dr. Jack Fowlie no more we can contact because he already pass on. Maybe someone who got his Orchid Digest can kindlier scan PDF of his article and checklist (only article, no full book). I think hard to contact author who make original description for Paphiopedilum sugiyamanum, platyphyllum, kolopakingii. Paphiopedilum ooii is Koopowitz. Supardii is Braem. Paph. inamorii is I just remember maybe can find in the library when movement restrict is no more.

Thank you for suggest, Mr. SouthPark. Very appreciate, God bless.
Harold Koopowitz has his own Facebook Page. He is located in Los Angeles. I was able to find his book on Phals at a reasonable price by searching used book stores online. His books are out of print but you can find them at extremely high prices on Amazon. Cannot yet find the one on tropicals at an affordable price. When my Koopowitz book arrives I can try to copy what you are looking for. But do check his facebook page and contact him directly if you can. I met him on Facebook recently after he received a novelty phal named after him.

Latest posts

Back