Need input on a phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just1more

Reaction score
I’ve not grown phrag before and this is a gift plant. It’s been growing a few new leaves but the color is so light compared to the older leaves. Nothing I’ve read to date mentions this kind of color change. Is this normal for a phrag, if not how Do I correct? If I remember the name correctly it is Phragmepedium Stephen Manza.

Attachments

• 53E5F88D-C017-410A-B119-434F8C578052.jpeg
    53E5F88D-C017-410A-B119-434F8C578052.jpeg
    954.9 KB · Views: 0
weekly K-lite,, rotating KelpMx and Quantum-Total at Rays suggested dilutions. Life has been pretty complicated these past six weeks with family concerns stirred into holiday schedules too. I may have missed a feeding. I use rain water. Plant is in an east facing sun room window, with grow lights coming on late morning til about 10:30 pm.

medium looks dry on top but I’ve been careful to keep it moist and just a few days ago put the plant in a container with 1\2” water. internet info seems split whether to grow a phrag in standing water. I received the plant Oct 19 and it has grown much better than my paphs do.

Attachments

• AB4931B4-2ADF-4B59-9CD3-B5296D22DB8D.png
    AB4931B4-2ADF-4B59-9CD3-B5296D22DB8D.png
    5 MB · Views: 0
I grow some Phrags. in water and some not. Depends on the genetic background of the plant. I have a Phrag. (I
don't recall the name at the moment) that new leaves emerge white and then gradually change to green as they grow.
I dunno why.

Here’s the species makeup if that helps. I ddi not look up the culture for these four species, should have😡

Attachments

• E93B5756-96DC-4077-99EF-3F65E1FFB971.png
    E93B5756-96DC-4077-99EF-3F65E1FFB971.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I guess I’m just getting panicky, not wanting anything to happen to this gift plant! I’ll just keep an eye on it

thanks for responses. Merry Christmas!
Sheila

.. my initial thought is it’s getting too much heat / light and is stressed. I usually grow phrags under 80F and some of the more sensitive growers, I move to lower light, like a Phal. Too much heat or too much light can turn the new leaves yellow. I would move it to lower light and make sure it’s not getting above 80F, see if the color normalizes.

Last edited:
Also, with vandas, the red color can be observed when there is a magnesium deficiency. not a vanda but I’ve found phrags also stress similarly and can benefit from added magnesium. I would also rotate in Epsom salts into your routine.. something like once a month, 50-100ppm.

I am inclined to agree with Pete, what type of artificial light and with the hours stated that they are on, along with a few hours of sun, it could be a bit too much light.
But you really won’t kill a plant with too much light, it is just going to impart a brighter green or yellow green color to the leaves.
Are you using a well balanced fertilizer providing enough nitrogen. A little more nitrogen will increase the green. I use a 20-20-20 blend with a bit more calcium and magnesium then most blends. My lights are on though for just 10 hours a day now. I gradually give them more light until May 1st. They get 14 hours a day in April. Then they go outside for the summer.
I fertilize every other week at 1/2 tsp. Per gallon.

.. my initial thought is it’s getting too much heat / light and is stressed. I usually grow phrags under 80F and some of the more sensitive growers, I move to lower light, like a Phal. Too much heat or too much light can turn the new leaves yellow. I would move it to lower light and make sure it’s not getting above 80F, see if the color normalizes.
Shouldn’t be too much heat. S. Tx has been having an unusually cool/cold fall/winter season. I’ve been using additional lights because of all the overcast days. We went for over 19 days without sunshine.

My Phrags. get 62-74 degrees this time of year because they are indoors. I like a cooler house otherwise I won’t sleep well.
Outside in the summer, they see 75-88 degrees depending upon the weather. They only get some sun from 9:30 until 1:00pm depending upon season. They are on the North side of my one story ranch. They can see anywhere from 58-72 degrees at night since we do see regular cooler air masses in the summer being this far North.
If it gets too warm, I just water more frequently to compensate. I factor in any naturally occurring rains from thundershowers but unless it is at least 3/4” in my rain gauge, I dismiss the rain event since less rainfall really does not effectively water my orchids.
My Phrags. are looking a little poorly or ragged when they go out but fresh air and some nice light perk them right up!

Unless you are underfeeding the K-Lite, I doubt it would be a nitrogen or magnesium deficiency.

It is probably nothing more than a change due to new medium and overall growing conditions.

thanks Ray. I really picked up on the too much light comment since I just upped its light these past three weeks while we’ve been living under heavy cloud cover. I’ll pay closer attention to lighting and not let myself be such a worrywort!

Latest posts

Back