need a little guidence

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
seems like my itch to get orchids is gonna be coming back very soon when the spring weather comes around. and especially after looking at this thread http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6478 this time i have a feeling that i might wanna get a phrag. i like the one thats in the second picture. the one which is really deep red-brown with the long slipper and 'ear'.

i'll be growing them in hydroton, the room i grow them in gets quite warm in the summer and down to about 15*C in the winter. i'm currently growing phals, dend (that just wont bloom, haha), paphs, neo, etc.

with these kind of conditions, i am just wondering what are some phrags that look like this and isnt gonna be hard to get my hands on. im assuming some kind of grande, super grande, caudeum, longifolium cross? nio bessae plz.

I'll go along with the suggestions made!
I don't know if there is enough variation that one might want to buy a plant in bloom to be assured of the color they get.

i have looked around and there are indeed lots of variation in the grandes. from really light colouration to really dark rich coloured ones. but considering this is gonna be a first phrag, i think i wouldnt mind too much if it gave me a big surprise.

hopefully when i join the local orchid society, i will be able to get my hands on some division without having to lighten up my wallet a lot

how much do divisions usually cost?

wats the different between those 2. i know super grande and grande are just different primary hybrids. but mini-grande?
Mini Grande is warscewiczianum x pearcei, making it a more compact plant with smaller flowers than Grande. But they look very much like Grande's flowers (caudatum x longifolium).

but with the lack of longifolium background, will it be harder to care for or is it about that same. and also in culture, are they both the type that likes 'wet feet' or 'dry feet' since im planning to go s/h for it

I guess you'd have to experiment. Some of my Phrags like S/H and some don't. I'm not growing either Grande or Mini-Grande in S/H. I use a combination of coconut chips and diatomite, and water 2X a week.

Latest posts

Back