Natural Treatment for Bacterial Infection.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonewild said:
Interesting about your use of Goldenseal. There are multitudes of native North American plants which would be effective health aids. Too bad most of the knowledge was destroyed in the settlement of our country. The world believes we need to save the rainforests because the plant species hold so many cures for human afflictions. What we need to save are the forest people that know the plant species and how to use them. There are still a lot of plants left in the rainforest, but only a handful of people who know which ones are doctor plants.

Many of the interactions between European settlers and North American Natives were not as bad as the ones in SA. So there is more information passed on on NA medicine plants. However there are allot less intact forests than there used to be (excluding the tree farms) so many of the medicinal herbs are rare enough to be on the CITES list, and are on various endangered/threatened state lists. This includes goldenseal, but there are a few comercial growers. (and a small stand of it in my backyard)

Actually there was a recent publication of an herbal PDR (Physicians Desktop Reference) that covers medicinal plants from all over.

In case anyone is wondering here is what the sap of Croton lechleri, Dragon's Blood or Sangre de Grado looks like being applied to a Paph.

seed-blood6.jpg

Rick said:
Many of the interactions between European settlers and North American Natives were not as bad as the ones in SA. So there is more information passed on on NA medicine plants. However there are allot less intact forests than there used to be (excluding the tree farms) so many of the medicinal herbs are rare enough to be on the CITES list, and are on various endangered/threatened state lists. This includes goldenseal, but there are a few comercial growers. (and a small stand of it in my backyard)

Actually there was a recent publication of an herbal PDR (Physicians Desktop Reference) that covers medicinal plants from all over.

I did not know goldenseal was on CITES list. Does that include the patch in your back yard or are cultivated plants exempt?

Heather said:
Then what? Do you spread it around? Etc?
That Paph. looks fine. Is this just an example of application or... I'm confused. sorry!

OH sorry I guess I should explain. The paph in the photo is not fine but I actually dropped it on a healthy part of the leaf to show the Dragon's Blood better. After I applied this I just poured on a small amount of water to wash the resin down into the crown. This is actually a second application on this plant. I'll post some pictures as it is another example that is growing but I'm not sure it will live yet.

I would normally apply the drop to the infected area directly. If it is a infected spot on a leaf blade I spread the Dragons Blood with a cotton swab on both upper and lower surface. If the infection is in the crown area I apply the drop or drops directly in the center of the crown. If necessary I pour on a few drops of water to move the Dragons Blood down so that it spreads between the leaf surfaces.

gonewild said:
I did not know goldenseal was on CITES list. Does that include the patch in your back yard or are cultivated plants exempt?

Commercial propagators can probably get an exemption if they are growing in pots/beds under shade cloth (i.e.prove artificial propagation). Some plants like ginseng and bloodroot can be collected by state licensed collectors during certain seasons and export legally. Check out Frontier Herbs. They either grow it themselves or coop to other collector/growers.
The backyard patch was started from purchased nursery stock, but the backyard is a "reforestation project" and goldenseal is native to TN, so it doesn't look as artificial as it probably needs to be to prove artificial prop. (even if I was growing enough to export beyond the backyard).

Here is the Paph from the last photo showing the Dragon's Blood drops.

This is the plant the day I got it on 11/28/06 from the grower who was throwing it out because he knew it would soon be dead.

paph1-blood3.jpg

You can see the Dragon's Blood I applied.
paph1-blood2.jpg

11 days later.
paph1-blood4.jpg

23 days later (today)
paph1-blood5.jpg

The new leaf is growing and the infected leaf area does not seem to be spreading. It is not a fast grower to start with so time will tell more.

This is a facinating experiment, I hope your results are as successful as I hope. It is very good news for paph. growers. Thank you for your work with this.

gonewild said:
Has the problem spread at all?
Did the damage on the leaf margin happen at the same time as that at the crown?
Can you post an up to date picture?

If it is bacterial, fungal or even viral the Dragon's Blood may eliminate it.

The problem hasn't spread at all. (I'm currently using Physan 20 to see if it can control the problem.) I think the problem occured at the same time. I'll try to get a updated picture tonight.

How about an update on the plant pictured 12/20? I am not sure which area you are referring to as not spreading? Is it the crown or the partially damaged and infected leaf on the lower right? If it is the lower leaf then it does appear the damage is spreading, but certainly not as quickly as it appears to have started.

IdahoOrchid said:
How about an update on the plant pictured 12/20? I am not sure which area you are referring to as not spreading? Is it the crown or the partially damaged and infected leaf on the lower right? If it is the lower leaf then it does appear the damage is spreading, but certainly not as quickly as it appears to have started.

All of the dead leaf area is a result of an infection. The area I hoped to stop the spreading was that near the crown. You can see all but one leaf and the new center growth were infected. After application of the Dragons Blood the infection spread stopped. Although the badly infected leaves continue to slowly decline because of the tissue damage the infection has not spread to other leaves or into the crown. The new growth is growing so at this point I expect the plant to recover.

Here is a picture taken 01/27/07 of the plant posted on 12/20/06. 60 days after treatment.
paph1-blood6.jpg

This is what I hope for for my plant too. Treated with Phyton 27 then Dragon's Blood several days later.

Here is a picture of it prior to treatment. That is the terminal leaf. Not a good shot of all the damage but it does show what it looks like. I think the spread has stopped. It certainly has not spread much further, if at all.

Hoping, since this is a NBS plant with one mature and a new growth.

Attachments

• Phil-spot.jpg
    Phil-spot.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back