Native MN slippers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanner. C

Reaction score
I really would like to see some Minnesota cym. In there natural habitat and was hoping someone could help guide me to where to look on southern MN.

Thank you! :)

Please folks, if you post anything publicly about locations you will be endangering those Cyp populations. Certainly some of it is public knowledge, but we don't need to make it easy for anyone looking to make some quick cash or fill their yard with wild Cyps.

Please folks, if you post anything publicly about locations you will be endangering those Cyp populations. Certainly some of it is public knowledge, but we don't need to make it easy for anyone looking to make some quick cash or fill their yard with wild Cyps.

Obviously I know not to dig them up and all other factors like that :) I just would really like to see them in the wild to photograph!

If people want to email me so the location is discreet that's okay.

[email protected]

Go for a hike. You will see plenty of beauty and you will be in nature. Who knows, might even stumble upon a Cyp!

You could contact bill Steele of Spangle creek labs in Minnesota. He grows and sells slippers, and if he felt obliged to safely share locations then you would find out. Also he has beds of natives I'm sure he'd let you photograph

Completely intended to be polite, most people it isn't obvious to know if they won't get a bug and dig things up. Only through doing research or getting to know people can you safely expect to see orchids. Other way is look online for regions having festivals which include viewing native orchids.

In God we trust but not in forum users. :)

Orchids Limited in Plymouth has a nice collection of native MN slippers and they sell plants for those who want to grow them. I am sure that Jerry Fischer knows how to see them in the wild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

And please don't show the photos.They could induce a run on these species where ever they could be found.

That is absolutely ridiculous! There's nothing wrong with showing photos of Cyps any more than showing other types of orchids. If the photos make people want to possess them, they can support the nurseries that produce them via artificial propagation by purchasing seedlings and plants from them. The whole point of this website is to promote and support the growing of slipper orchids, including Cypripediums.

Watch out with pictures taken on phones, they have location data, you have to edit it out

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If you are concerned about your photos being geotagged, then just look at the Exif data of the file and see if the GPS coordinates are included. As said, many phone cameras do geotagging by default. I've heard of cases of rare plants being stolen from private collections after photos were shared, so it can be a problem. When I was photographing rare species in China (for instance C. farreri), I was careful not to include locations, or to even shoot obvious geographic features. The camera I was using didn't geotag photos, so it wasn't a problem.

In the end, we'd still like to see your photos!

Latest posts

Back