National Capital Orchid Society's 66th Annual Show, Sale and Workshops

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
National Capital Orchid Society's 66th Annual Show, Sale and Workshops

October 12 to 14, 2013 at U.S. National Arboretum features NCOS “66th Annual ORCHID EXTRAVANGAZA!”

Washington, DC--The National Capital Orchid Society (NCOS), in partnership with the U.S. National Arboretum, will present its 66th Annual Orchid Show and Sale on Columbus Day weekend on Columbus Day weekend (Saturday through Monday, October 12-14) on the Arboretum grounds (3501 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002). This Show, one of the largest juried shows on the East Coast, will enthrall orchid enthusiasts and admirers this year with displays highlighting thousands of rare and exotic blooms. Admission is free.

The 2013 Orchid Show, featuring juried exhibits presented by orchid growers from around the United States, will be on display in the Arboretum’s main auditorium. Exhibitors and members of the Society will be on hand to answer questions and share their knowledge of orchid horticultural and design principles used in creating the orchid displays and growing healthy orchids. Visitors may view the exhibits from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday, October 12 and Sunday, October 13, and from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm on Monday, October 14.

The huge sales tent, offering thousands of orchids, supplies, and accessories from a variety of vendors, will be open on Saturday from 9 to 5; Sunday 10 to 5 and Monday 10 to 3. This annual sale offers both expert orchid enthusiasts and novices the opportunity to obtain high quality orchids at reasonable prices.

Other elements of the Show include a series of free lectures and demonstrations designed for new as well as experienced orchid enthusiasts. Complete Show information including the lecture/demonstration schedule and directions can be found on the National Capital Orchid Society’s web site ncos.us or on the National Arboretum’s web site www.usna.usda.gov.

The National Capital Orchid Society, established in 1947, supports Orchid culture and conservation. The Society also fosters interest in orchids through monthly lectures, educational programs, newsletters and shows throughout the East Coast. For more information on the NCOS, visit its web site at ncos.us.

The National Arboretum was established by an Act of Congress in 1927 and is located in Northeast Washington, DC. The Arboretum is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service. Its mission is to serve the public need for scientific research, education, and gardens that conserve and showcase plants to enhance the environment.

This is the first I've heard of a juried orchid show. One would assume it will be lots better than a regular show?

I think that means ribbon judging as well as AOS judging. Not that the plants are judged before they can be exhibited. But that would be interesting...

Is that an offer Eric or just a statement of fact?
Both, depending on your wishlist and my budget.

I think that means ribbon judging as well as AOS judging. Not that the plants are judged before they can be exhibited. But that would be interesting...

Judges can pick out plants from exhibit that they think will win awards also but if the owner doesnt want to pay for an award it can be a waster of time. Most shows on the Northeast are AOS judged as far as I know.

I am taking off work on that Friday for Judging. I will let you know how it is and try to take some pictures. I am dying to use the new Cannon I got.

Announcement! The NCOS fall show and sale, originally scheduled for presentation at the National Arboretum, on October 12th to 14th has been moved (due to the expected continuing government shutdown; the Arboretum is a federal facility) to Behnke Nursery 11300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville MD.

Eric, you know I am in the coner of maryland by Delaware. Let me know if you need a ride from one of the stations or something.

Latest posts

Back