Naming Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To reiterate - it is not just etiquette, it is not just orchids, it is not just a matter of opinion. There are internationally recognized rules for naming cultivars, and cultivar names can be viewed as similar to trademarks and brand identification. Any deliberate circumvention of the rules is not just shady. If you don't own every division it can approach fraud and theft of intellectual property, and may be illegal in some circumstances.

Is there a single case of precedent for your comment? Everyone is so quick to say it's illegal. Good luck with that. First of all if it is in a state it would be state law and if it crossed state lines it would be federal. If it is in different countries it's just laughable. Please show me the statute or some orchid naming precedent where someone was prosecuted or found to be guilty in civil or criminal court. So it is just etiquette. You will not be found guilty of any law. Also biologic copyrighting is very difficult. It's just ridiculous. I'm sorry. How do you even prove it. It's crazy. But I agree that to keep our hobby honest the common courtesy rules should be followed. I guess you could sue someone in civil court for losses for violation of a contract. It would not be criminal though and I think you would have a very difficult time getting any significant damages. It's an orchid.

Latest posts

Back