Naming help please

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I have a plant labeled "Paph virioissium" Or "Paph viridissium"

As far as I know these are not valid species names, but has anyone heard of this name for a species variety or trade name?

Any registered hybrids under this name??

The plant is not in flower. The foliage is like a villosum with a fair amount of purple spotting under the leaves (fuscoviridae??), or big somewhat floppy gratrixianum.

I have a plant labeled "Paph virioissium" Or "Paph viridissium"

As far as I know these are not valid species names, but has anyone heard of this name for a species variety or trade name?

Any registered hybrids under this name??

The plant is not in flower. The foliage is like a villosum with a fair amount of purple spotting under the leaves (fuscoviridae??), or big somewhat floppy gratrixianum.

Paph. Viridissimum (Paph. Aureum x Paph. villosum)

Good Thanks.

Do you know what Paph Aureum is?

Found it: 1894 Aureum = Nitens (insigne X villosum) X spicerianum

So this cross has 2 doses of villosum, 1 dose insignes, and 1 dose spicerianum.

And who knows what variety of villosum went into this plant.???

Good Thanks.

Do you know what Paph Aureum is?

Found it: 1894 Aureum = Nitens (insigne X villosum) X spicerianum

So this cross has 2 doses of villosum, 1 dose insignes, and 1 dose spicerianum.

And who knows what variety of villosum went into this plant.???

Here's one example of Paph Aureum

PaphAureum-1.jpg

I saw your Aureum when I was hunting down the parentage info Ross.

It's quite a beauty. It will be interesting to see what happens when some type of villosum goes back into Aureum.

We have no idea about what they called 'villosum' in the early days of orchid breeding. There are many different types of villosum, with some extremes like what we call laichauense, to the huge, yellowish villosum which makes massive plants ( in Doi Inthanon nursery, they have clumps of maybe a hundred growths, over a meter leafspan). There are dwarf plants too ( like the gratrixianum var. daoense, which is a villosum), intermediates, etc...

What we can be sure too, some of those varieties are either lost, or it would require an incredible luck to use the proper varieties to get a result similar to, but improved over, the old hybrids, in many instances.

Latest posts

Back