mysterious plants .....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait, bog candles are piperias now? I hadn't heard that at all. ..at least ny state now has another genera in it :) . ... so are platantheras huronensis and aquilonis also piperias? they are all part of the same group

Kew lists them as Platantheras. I tried to find the original journal article but my University doesn't have access to Acta Botanica Fennica.

Yellowstone NP, Wyoming 3rd week of June
At the moment, I am willing to rule out Platanthera.

It is I who is sorry. The field guild I have been using shows Platanthera
as fringe orchids. Thought the fringe made the genus. Also, another
text "Wildflowers of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks" by
Richard J. Shaw, fails to list Platanthera, Piperia, or C. mertensiana from
a previous post. Thank you all for the educational lesson. After
viewing photos from the 'net, Platanthera resembles a plant about 10ft
away from the photo posted. The photo that is on this thread, to me,
looks like Piperia. I am looking at the way the petals and sepals open,
especially the dorsal. I will post the other plant by the end of the day.
Again, thanks to all.

As per above

Excellent photo. That's another "Piperia" dilatata. I think I'm still going to call these Platanthera until they transfer the whole species complex to Piperia. The more I investigate, the more I conclude that transferring only Platanthera dilatata is erroneous. I really wish I could access the paper and read about why the change was made.

Indian Pipe..Monotropa uniflora I find mysterious. It grows in my woods. Unlike most plants, it is white and does not contain chlorophyll. Instead of generating energy from sunlight, it is parasitic, more specifically a myco-heterotroph. Its hosts are certain fungi that are mycorrhizal with trees, meaning it ultimately gets its energy from photosynthetic trees. Since it is not dependent on sunlight to grow, it can grow in very dark environments as in the understory of dense forest.

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/monotropaunif.html

Excellent photo. That's another "Piperia" dilatata. I think I'm still going to call these Platanthera until they transfer the whole species complex to Piperia. The more I investigate, the more I conclude that transferring only Platanthera dilatata is erroneous. I really wish I could access the paper and read about why the change was made.

I think I'll just stick to calling them 'bog candles' until some day when they figure everything out...

This photo was taken about 115ft. from the Piperia, and about 100ft.
from the Corallorhiza. The tall one is less than 4 inches.
Pterospora andromedea ?? Sorry if this loaded up large, I lost my patience
trying to resize.

This photo was taken about 115ft. from the Piperia, and about 100ft.
from the Corallorhiza. The tall one is less than 4 inches.
Pterospora andromedea ?? Sorry if this loaded up large, I lost my patience
trying to resize.

where did you find the pine drops? a professor from syracuse university (suny esf) loves them and would like to know where to go see them

Yellowstone. If we has seen the bears before hiking, we would not of
been hiking there. Thanks for looking.

:clap: I guess one wouldn't have any trouble locating a rafflesia! AMAZING! Thanks Ramon!

Wendy - I'd like a bat as well, it sounds like they get rather large ....... time will tell!

I think they also smell like rotting flesh!!!!!!!!!

Paula:eek:

Latest posts

Back