mysterious plants .....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This definitely is a Piperia, looks like it could be candida. Only problem, the only Piperia listed for Wyoming is unalascensis, and it is definitely not unalascensis.

The plant photographed by Charles isn't a Piperia. It is Platanthera dilatata, probably var. dilatata. It's a confusing complex of varieties, but the plant pictured is most definitely in it.

Edit: after a bit of investigating, it looks like Platanthera dilatata is now Piperia dilatata. We're both partially correct!

The plant photographed by Charles isn't a Piperia. It is Platanthera dilatata, probably var. dilatata. It's a confusing complex of varieties, but the plant pictured is most definitely in it.

Edit: after a bit of investigating, it looks like Platanthera dilatata is now Piperia dilatata. We're both partially correct!

Mmmmmmm. Yes. Tangled once again by the nomenclature.

Mmmmmmm. Yes. Tangled once again by the nomenclature.

I have no problem with such changes if they represent well-conducted phylogenetic analyses. I haven't read the paper in which this group was transferred, so I can't really comment. I think it has been a few years.

Never the less, either USDA plants doesn't accept it or is just late at making the changes. Kew monocot list lists Piperia dilatata (and varieties) as the accepted name.

There is confusion with this link:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Piperia_dilatata

If you click on the photo, the plant gets renamed.

BTW, who is Charles?

There is confusion with this link:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Piperia_dilatata

If you click on the photo, the plant gets renamed.

BTW, who is Charles?

Oops, for some reason I thought cnycharles posted the photos. My apologies.

As for the photo, I think the original photographer uploaded the photo as Platanthera dilatata.jpg while someone later came along and placed it in the group of photos for Piperia dilatata. The "correct" name is Piperia dilatata, but people won't be confused if you call it Platanthera dilatata.

Interesting thread.

One comes to my mind is the genus Amorphophallus, and A. titan in particular. It has the the largest unbranched inflorescence in the world.
We have a few plants in our greenhouse that are almost blooming size now. Just the foliage alone is enormous, it looks like a big palm tree.

Here are some pics of the flowers:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&start=20&um=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_publicised_titan_arum_blooms_in_cultivation

Robert

Those are neat! I think you'll find them at quite a few botanic gardens. I don't reacall, is there an odor?

Vriesia imperialis

The Century plant reminds me of a giant bromeliad (I think it is Vriesia imperialis) that we used to have. Luckily we were growing it in our tallest greenhouse, so we did not have to remove any window panes.

Here are some pictures:

March 28 it was just starting to spike:
2GiantBromeliadinFlower3282003.jpg

March 28 (close):
1GiantBromeliadinFlowerclose3282003.jpg

April 15:
3GiantBromeliad4152003.jpg

April 25:
4GiantBromeliad4252003.jpg

April 25 (close)
5GiantBromeliad-close2-4252003.jpg

June 17:
6GiantBromeliad6172003.jpg

June 17 (close):
7GiantBromeliad-close2-6182003.jpg

Robert

That is very impressive!!! The flower inflorescence it fantastic. I remember seeing this back in the Philippines on a Vriesia imperialis rubra.

Ramon:)

Interesting thread.

One comes to my mind is the genus Amorphophallus, and A. titan in particular. It has the the largest unbranched inflorescence in the world.
We have a few plants in our greenhouse that are almost blooming size now. Just the foliage alone is enormous, it looks like a big palm tree.

Robert

A. titanum is a bit more than most of us want to manage at home, but it has many smaller cousins that are just as mysterious on a more manageable scale. I recommend Amorphophallus konjac.

IM002830.jpg

IM002854.jpg

wait, bog candles are piperias now? I hadn't heard that at all. ..at least ny state now has another genera in it :) . ... so are platantheras huronensis and aquilonis also piperias? they are all part of the same group

Latest posts

Back